Electrical cables in screed?

Seen trunking cut into the slab, conduit in slab before pour, raised floor, all manner of ways

Sponsored Links
Care should be taken not to damage or fix through any Damp membrane, we used to do a brand new shop site built on Hackney marshes, everytime it rained water filled up the floorboxes, in the end we had to cap them off, we assumed that they had dug deep and damaged something when they fitted them

Is it less common in houses?

Last edited by a moderator:
What about electrical cable in house screed? Is it less common in houses?
I quess most people would come down the wall instead, on here seems mostly posts where cables put in floor, are for Kitchen islands in solid floor extensions

Sponsored Links
That argument could be applied to any cable buried in any structure, be it a wall or a floor.
If it's being buried in the wall wouldn't it be more obvious above the sockets?

Last edited by a moderator:
everytime it rained water filled up the floorboxes, in the end we had to cap them off, we assumed that they had dug deep and damaged something when they fitted. them
How did you fix the problem if the membrane was damaged? When you say you had to "cap them off" does that mean you isolated them and decommissioned them so no electrical current was flowing through?

How did you fix the problem if the membrane was damaged? When you say you had to "cap them off" does that mean you isolated them and decommissioned them so no electrical current was flowing through?

They were each on there own circuits so we removed them at the Distribution board RCBO's, they were for remote islands on the shop floor, to charge the display phones, as an electrical firm we never got involved, the shop was newly built, it was odd why it happened we never did hear what they found, we could only assume what the problem was, there was a damp patch radiating out from the floorbox.
It was not the cleaners as the sockets were well under the unit which took 4 of us to move.
One of those jobs where it would have been nice to know the outcome, at a quess, dig out around it and somehow reseal it, which i assume an expensive and not an easy task.
Shop closed down in the end, was a Carphone warehouse, being built on old marsh land I guess the water table is quite high.
We likely would have quoted to run new supplies via the false ceilings and dropped down to the islands with a chrome pole.

at a quess, dig out around it and somehow reseal it, which i assume an expensive and not an easy task.
Yeah I could well imagine a heft price tag on that not to mention having to try to do it at night
Shop closed down in the end, was a Carphone warehouse, being built on old marsh land I guess the water table is quite high.
It could well have been something to do with building on marsh land - I wouldn't be so happy about a house on marsh land although supposedly there are sound techniques for doing this properly

my cowboy builders buried cables in the screed, well, they shoved them down the gap between the block and beam floor and the wall, mostly, although I thing some ran along one edge where the French doors were. Insulation on top, then screed though, but still buried.

Were they loose or were they encased in some proper trunking or conduit?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back