Electrical Certificate and My electrician

"For an addition or alteration which does not extend to the introduction of new circuits, a MEIWC may be used."

I read that 'may' as 'may be used instead of EIC'; not 'may or may not bother with any certificate'.
To this reader, that reading is so bl****ng obvious that it has never, ever occurred to me that anybody could possibly "read" it any other way.
Really the onus is on you to prove a requirement within the Wiring Regulations for certification to be issued for the replacement of an accessory which is not being relocated (and quite clearly was not a distribution board).

Sponsored Links
Really the onus is on you to prove a requirement within the Wiring Regulations for certification to be issued for the replacement of an accessory which is not being relocated (and quite clearly was not a distribution board).
Do you undertake any tests when you replace accessories (without relocation)? If so, where do you document the results (or don't you bother?)?

Kind Regards, John

Do you undertake any tests when you replace accessories (without relocation)? If so, where do you document the results (or don't you bother?)?

Kind Regards, John
Generally a Zs test would be sufficient, and I may or may not record the result.

If a client wants a certificate then of course they can have one (but it will be dearer as it will require the time to fill it out and post it, etc.)

I'm certainly not suggesting that a certificate shouldn't be done - just that there is absolutely no requirement for one.

Generally a Zs test would be sufficient, and I may or may not record the result.
Does that mean that, if you were providing (on request, for a price) a minor works cert, you would leave the other bits (earth continuity, IR, polarity, RCD tests) blank?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Does that mean that, if you were providing (on request, for a price) a minor works cert, you would leave the other bits (earth continuity, IR, polarity, RCD tests) blank?

Kind Regards, John
That depends what is agreed in advance obviously. It's all academic as I wouldn't be claiming responsibility for existing wiring - merely for the replacement of an accessory, so the certificate would be of little real value.

"For an addition or alteration which does not extend to the introduction of new circuits, a MEIWC may be used."
I read that 'may' as 'may be used instead of EIC'; not 'may or may not bother with any certificate'.
To this reader, that reading is so bl****ng obvious that it has never, ever occurred to me that anybody could possibly "read" it any other way.
Are you confusing notification and certification?

Unless you want to quibble about whether a replacement shower, for example, is an installation (i.e has to be installed) then 610 would seem to apply.

That depends what is agreed in advance obviously. It's all academic as I wouldn't be claiming responsibility for existing wiring - merely for the replacement of an accessory, so the certificate would be of little real value.
It's not really about 'claiming responsibility' for anything - it's to do with documenting the results (and providing the customer with a copy of that documentation) of whatever tests you feel are appropriate as part of the work you have been contracted to undertake.

Kind Regards, John

I must be missing something, here.

I would not want to fit a replacement shower without testing the circuit - polarity, RCD working, EFLI at least.
So you should (may as well) give the customer a copy to show you care, if nothing else.

I must be missing something, here. I would not want to fit a replacement shower without testing the circuit - polarity, RCD working, EFLI at least. So you should (may as well) give the customer a copy to show you care, if nothing else.
Quite so - that was obviously my implication when I wrote:
If I were having work of any sort done which required testing of one sort or another, I would expect to receive a copy of the test results as part of that job - not 'for additional charge' as Risteard suggested.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back