registered electrician wont give certificate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i had an extension built - all planning and building regs passed and i have a building completion certificate but the electrician still hasnt given me certificate even after one year. I keep chasing him and have been in touch with NICEIC who advise me to keep chasing him but my house is up for sale and i am worried that it might be essential despite having the other certificate. Any advise please ?

Sponsored Links
Contact NICEIC again and make a formal complaint - it will then be their responsibility to get the electrician to give you the appropriate documentation. He is in breach of their code of practice.
While the Electrical Installation Certificate is unlikely to have an adverse affect on the sale of your house, the LABC completion certificate is all you need - give them notice that should the lack of documentation result in the loss of the sale or a reduction in price then you will be entitled to claim such losses back from them - some solicitors can be a little picky.

I had the same problem a little while ago with a property I own and rent out. Some electrical work was done on the property by a support charity, without my initial knowledge by the way, and I received neither the Completion Certificate or the EIC.
When I found out about the new installation, nearly 12 months later I never contacted the spark I simply told NICEIC to sort it out within four weeks otherwise I would take legal action - both docs arrived within 2 weeks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back