Electrical connection for Oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The heating element in my oven has gone recently and, having had it at least 6 years since I purchased my house (and who knows how old it was then) I've decided I'd like to replace it, however having looked at some ovens, and then at my electrical circuits in the kitchen, I think I might have a problem.

1. My current single fitted oven (fitted with a 13A plug) is plugged into a standard double socket that is on a circuit with the rest of the kitchen sockets.

2. There is definitely no separate circuit or plug specifically for an oven.

3. I understand that I can't get a 16A oven, but could potentially still get a 13A oven, but all ovens seem to require an electrician to fit the cable/plug.

4. However, looking at various appliance retailers that offer installation, they all suggest that they wouldn't be able to install unless there is a separate socket for the oven with an isolator switch.

Now, my question is whether this is just retailers limiting their liability by making sure they only do "easy" installations, but that actual electricians would be OK to fit a 13A oven with a cable and plug it into the socket thats on a circuit with the rest of the sockets, or do I have to get a re-wire?

I'd really prefer not to have to get new cabling laid if possible as have not intention of refurbing my kitchen. Any thoughts gratefully received!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If the oven comes with a plug, it can be plugged in.

It may be preferable to have a separate circuit but, if not, that's why they come with a plug.

The companies look for any excuse to not do it.

Can you not fit it yourself? Built-in ovens only slide in and are held by two or four screws to the sides of the unit.

Thanks for your response. I'd be happy to fit an oven myself, but I'm not 100% clear on whether any of them actually come with wires attached. Most of the website seems to say something like:
Power Requirements Standard UK Plug
Requires 13 Amp Power Supply Yes - Cable Not Included
Requires Electrically Trained Engineer Yes To Connect Cable (Cable/Plug Not Included)
Is it easy to fit your own cable / plug? I've wired in new ceiling lights before so not afraid of a bit of electrical work. Never touched an oven before though..

I didn't mean that.

Lots of ovens have a lead and plug supplied if they are suitable to plug in.

Buy one of them.

Sponsored Links
If you really want one that doesn't, the oven side of the wiring is no harder than wiring a plug (usually) and it's only 1.5mm flex you'll need, nothing bigger

Hi EFL. In that case, lets go back to my original question. If I want a 13A oven that doesn't come with a cable/plug supplied, and I shouldn't fit it myself, then would an electrician be willing to fit it if it's going into a standard double socket on a circuit with the rest of the kitchen sockets?

4. However, looking at various appliance retailers that offer installation, they all suggest that they wouldn't be able to install unless there is a separate socket for the oven with an isolator switch.

Does not say a separate circuit though. Most sockets these days have switches as well. So shouldn't really be a problem!

Hi EFL. In that case, lets go back to my original question. If I want a 13A oven that doesn't come with a cable/plug supplied, and I shouldn't fit it myself, then would an electrician be willing to fit it if it's going into a standard double socket on a circuit with the rest of the kitchen sockets?
I'm sure an electrician would although there are some on here who wouldn't.

I didn't mean to disparage you if you can do it yourself.

My comment was more to iggifer who, after you had sounded uncertain about wiring the oven, said it was just like a plug (usually).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back