Bosch Multifunction Oven - 3.5Kw Installation - HELP!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have just purchased a new Bosch Multifunction oven which has a 3.5kw rating.
My old oven was a simple fan oven that could just be plugged in via a 13a plug.
However the new oven has to be hardwired.
Is it possible to take a spur from the existing plug socket behind the oven, or will i need to get an electrician in to put a complete new oven circuit in?
any help appreciated!
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
It needs its own circuit - 3.5kW is 15.9A, so it cannot be powered via a plug or wired into an FCU. Sur le continent they have 16A circuits with 16A sockets, so this type of appliance is fine there.

IF you can replace the cable with a larger one, and IF the installation instructions don't say to use a 16A circuit then you could hard-wire it into the cooker circuit, if you have one. If not it's electrician time.

Thanks for that Ban-all-sheds!

it does come with its own cable, but no plug.
The instructions state "not to use a 13a plug or fuse", that is all.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Two options:
*Dedicated circuit for new oven.
*Return new oven and replace with a lower output version, that only requires 13A Max.

it seems the cooker is powered via its own circuit. I have tripped the switch on the consumer unit and it switched the oven off!
does this mean I can take a spur from that circuit?
Thanks.

It depends what rating the "switch" (presumably a mini-circuit breaker or MCB) is, whether it is a dedicated circuit just for the cooker (no other sockets or lights) and what spec the cable is between the MCB and the cooker outlet.

If you look at the wee switch / MCB, what rating does it read / markings does it have?

it seems the cooker is powered via its own circuit.

When you say "cooker", what do you mean. A cooker is generally a single unit that has an oven and a hob. Is it all electric? Do you know the power rating of it.?
There should be a rating plate on the back or on the door.
Or make & model might help.

Two options:
*Dedicated circuit for new oven.
*Return new oven and replace with a lower output version, that only requires 13A Max.
Third option: connect oven to existing cooker feed - depends on answers to skoti's question and the ones about the cooker itself.

it seems the cooker is powered via its own circuit. I have tripped the switch on the consumer unit and it switched the oven off!
This would need confirming, the fact it seems to is not definitive proof.
does this mean I can take a spur from that circuit?
If it's dedicated circuit, which needs to be proved.
Then further investigation in to the arrangement of the circuit would be required, to again proof this circuit is suitable for the appliance and safe for continued service. Once that was been confirmed, the socket should then be replaced with an outlet plate rated equal to or higher than the 16A rating of the appliance.
A isolation switch would also be required.
It is not uncommon, if the kitchen was not been redesigned from it's original set up, that at one time the socket behind the cooker/oven was once the original circuit for the cooking appliance, this would often be a 6.00mm twin and earth cable, protected by a 30A fuse or a 32A breaker and could be swapped over quite easily, I would expect an isolator to already be in place though, if this is true of your circuit.

When you say "cooker", what do you mean. A cooker is generally a single unit that has an oven and a hob.
I actually meant a single oven. this is plugged in via 13a plug. However, this is supplied by its own dedicated cooker circuit with dedicated isolation switch above the worktop.
as to what info is on the mcb, I'll have to have a look when I get home from work.

Cheers fellas.

So you already have a single oven, and you are having an additional double oven? Is that correct.?

How do you fry stuff/boil the sprouts etc?

I have a single oven that is being replaced by another single oven!
The new oven has a higher kw output.
sprouts, cabbage, soup and fried eggs are all cooking on gas!

AAH, I see
I was confused by
Is it possible to take a spur from the existing plug socket behind the oven

So, simply, at present there is a 13A socket that terminates the cooker circuit and this is behind the existing oven.
The existing oven plugs into this socket.

If yes

Then all you need to to do is to (turn the power off first)
replace the socket with a cooker connection point like this
http://www.screwfix.com/p/crabtree-45a-cooker-connection-unit/47806
connect the cable from your new oven and you are done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back