Correct oven wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could someone please clarify if my oven wiring is correct as I’m a complete novice. 3.5kw fan oven on own circuit. Oven in fuse box says B32. There’s a dedicated oven switch on wall near oven. Underneath cooker is a double plug socket to which the to oven wire is plugged in. Is this correct for 3.5kw oven. The oven didn’t come with plug attached to oven wire.

Sponsored Links
No, It must be hard wired. A plug could not sustain a constant 3.5KW for very long, even with diversity, If it was meant to plugged in a socket in the UK it will 'almost always' come supplied with a plug fitted as standard.

Can you explain why? Is there not enough power? Is the B32 oven in the fuse box correct for 3.5kw. And I thought oven connected with plug via double plug socket wired into wall switch that connects to B32 in the fuse was the equivalent of hardwired?

How many amps are required for a 3.5kw load?

The 32 Amps is enough 'power', but the plug has a maximum rating of 13 Amps, and a lot of cheaper imports struggle to run continuously at even 10 Amps.

You need a junction box.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The fuse in the plug heats up, the more current the hot it gets, too much current and it gets hot enough to melt the fuse wire. That is how fuses work.

Running a 13 amp fuse at 13 amps ( approx 3kW ) means the fuse will be quite hot which over time degrades the rest of the plug. This results in the plug being unable to safely carry 13 amps.

You say there is a dedicated "oven" switch (they are more usually marked "cooker")

Can you post a photo of it please.

When you turn it off, does the socket you mention go dead?
Anything else?

Is there any other electrical fitting nearby, typically on the wall behind the cooker or beside it, or below the switch?

Have you got a separate hob?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back