Advice on replacing built in oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm struggling to find a replacement built in oven with dimensions and load rating similar to the existing oven. I've managed to find one that will hopefully fit, but the load is higher, so I need to ensure the existing supply is adequate.

The existing oven is a Diplomat ADP3120 with a maximum load of 2710W. The new oven is rated at 3.5kW (Kenwood KBMFMX21) and must be wired to a 16 amp fuse.

A couple of years ago a new consumer unit was installed and as you can see there is a dedicated cooker circuit rated at 32 amps:

In the cupboard next to the oven, is a switched socket, into which the gas hob is plugged and the oven is wired:

I'm unsure exactly what size cable has been used to connect the oven, but it was definitely thicker than 2.5mm, so maybe 4mm or even 6mm.

Is a straight oven replacement possible or are there potential issues with the electrical supply that need to be addresses?

Sponsored Links
As long as your cooker supply cable is 4mm or 6mm a like for like swap should be fine. Bit odd to have a box mounted flat like that is my only observation but at least it's easy to access.

Sponsored Links
struggling to find a replacement built in oven with dimensions and load rating similar to the existing oven.
The Kenwood linked to is a standard size single oven intended to fit into a 600x600mm opening.
The vast majority of single ovens are that size.

As you have a 32A circuit, the power rating of the new oven is irrelevant. It can supply pretty much any single oven, double oven or oven/electric hob combination.
The '16A fuse rating' nonsense can also be ignored.

The Kenwood linked to is a standard size single oven intended to fit into a 600x600mm opening.
The vast majority of single ovens are that size
Thanks for the confirmation, I suspected as much.

Unfortunately, the badly positioned gas pipe for the hob rules out some of the standard fitting ovens I've looked at, due to their depth. The installed Diplomat oven has a sloping back which accommodates the pipe and I think the Kenwood I'm looking at may also be okay based in the supplied dimensions.

Yes they can, but not by me!

I'm happy to avoid the expense of paying to have the gas pipe moved by purchasing an oven that will fit, even if that limits my choice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back