electrical dimmer switch problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:( I have bought some dimmer switches to replace my existing switches in my hall. They are the kind that don't have an actual switch, but are touch buttons with an LED light on. In the instructions it states that 'existing switches must be replaced with momentary action retractive press switches - contact us for details of our range'...I currently have - a double switch, which controls the hall lights and the outside light, a single switch that also controls the hall lights and another single switch at the bottom of the stairs that controls the light on the upstairs landing. The dimmers I have bought are all 2 way. Tried to wire them in at the weekend, but there was one too many wires (4) for the amount of terminals on the dimmer (3). Which ones should go to which terminal? also, what do they mean by replacing all switches with momentary action retractive press switches? Would be very grateful of any help, even my electrician was lost! Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
if you told us exactly what wires you have at the dimmer we might be able to help with the wiring.

Thank you very much for your help Dwain & crafty - I will have a look at the wires and let you know what I've got. Appreciate your help.

Sponsored Links
Right - the wires from the single switch are as follows -
earth (green & yellow)
blue with a red sleeve
yellow with a red sleeve
plain red

Not looked at the wires in the double switch yet, but hopefully this is enough info for someone to be able to help me?!!!

Many thanks.

I fear this will all come to nothing.

I fear that this is a dimmer switch designed to work in an environment which we just don't have in the UK - it's what the French call "auto alimentation", and these "momentary action retractive press switches" are indeed like a bell push, but they are meant to work with latching relays.

Did you buy the switch in Homebase?

Read this: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33587

Um, yes - I did buy them in homebase! Looked at the link and it doesn't look like good news does it? I don't really understand though, as I know they are manufactured by GET plc, who are a british company - surely there is some way of getting them to work in UK? These are the switches -
http://www.getplc.co.uk/2004/pdf/Get_Brochure_2005.pdf
p62, top left of p79, 6th picture on p93, p123

Anyone else got any suggestions please!!!! :cry:

pepsicles said:
Um, yes - I did buy them in homebase! Looked at the link and it doesn't look like good news does it? I don't really understand though, as I know they are manufactured by GET plc, who are a british company
Indeed - but see also the picture in the middle of the 2nd row on p65?

surely there is some way of getting them to work in UK?
Looks like it should be no problem, actually - it appears as though the dimmer implements all the logic, and you just string matching retractive switches off of it at the other switching locations, and when it gets a poke from one of those it will toggle itself.

You can still only control the dimming from the one location though - if you want full control from multiple places you should use a master/slave dimmer system (e.g. Varlight).

These are the switches -
http://www.getplc.co.uk/2004/pdf/Get_Brochure_2005.pdf
p62, top left of p79, 6th picture on p93, p123
Look on p166/167 for technical details. If you don't have a printed brochure, or proper instructions with the dimmer, get one, as the quality of the graphics in the PDF file is crap.

Thanks for the advice. I have got printed instructions, but they are not very good!
The bit I am really stuck on is where they advise that all existing switches should be changed for momentary action retractive press switches - I still don't understand what these are! I also don't know where my 4th wire is supposed to go where there are 3 terminals. The instructions don't say!

Don't really understand the 2nd section of your reply about toggles and stuff. Sorry to be dim (pardon the pun!), but could you explain please?

Are you saying that I can't use the other dimmers I've bought for the other switches?

Thank you very much for your help.

Don t panic i have just purchased a retrative press switch from GET the people that make these dimmers as i have been having the same problem. It cost about £17 inc p+p. the contact details are on www.getplc.co.uk. I haven't fitted it yet though so i bet there is more fun to come - the guy on the phone said it should be just a direct replacment for your old switch!!

Thanks for the info - do they have ones to match all the ranges of dimmers they make, or are they just a standard style of switch? Also, does this mean I can't use the other dimmers on the other hall switches?

Many thanks!

pepsicles said:
The bit I am really stuck on is where they advise that all existing switches should be changed for momentary action retractive press switches - I still don't understand what these are!
They are a spring-loaded push button. They are either normally open or normally closed, and make or break a connection when you press them (don't know which) and then return to the normal position when you let go. Just like a bell push.

I also don't know where my 4th wire is supposed to go where there are 3 terminals. The instructions don't say!
You don't have as many wires with these as you do with normal 2-way or intermediate switches. Compare their diagram with the ones for 2-way and 3-way switches in the For Reference section.

Don't really understand the 2nd section of your reply about toggles and stuff. Sorry to be dim (pardon the pun!), but could you explain please?
It's a term which means it switches from one state to another. So if the light is on, you press one of the other switches, and it goes off. If it's off and you press one of the other switches, it goes on. Whether in this case it would come on at full brightness or at whatever the dimmer was previously set to I have no idea.

Are you saying that I can't use the other dimmers I've bought for the other switches?
Not if they are for the same light, no. You can only have one dimmer controlling a light. If you want to be able to have dimmers in more than one place for the same light then you have bought the wrong product.

:D That's brilliant - thank you all so much for the advice, very much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back