Replace two-way two-light switch with one dimmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,
I have a 2-switch light switch downstairs which controls the upstairs landing light and hall pendant and want to replace this with a single dimmer for the hall light, and "deactivate" or "isolate" the landing light wiring downstairs(i'm happy to control this from upstairs only).
Please see the photos below, I hope they are clear enough for someone to help me with the wiring.
many thanks

WALL CASE

EXISTING SWITCH WIRING

NEW DIMMER

Sponsored Links
Yes, you can do it easily, though I wouldn't myself. The two thicker red wires go to the dimmer. Of the other 3 red, yellow, and blue need to be put in a bit of chock block. The one that goes to the common of the switch, probably the red, needs to be connected to either of the remaining two. If the upstairs switch then works upside down it needs connecting to the other one instead.

Sponsored Links
Do be aware grid switches will allow you to have a dimmer and a two way switch on the same switch face.

As winston1 says here and I said on the other forum it is possible either yellow or blue to red. Either will work but one will get switch up for on the other will be down for on.

It's a silly idea to do away with the landing switch downstairs
blank_65x10_T.gif
whssign.gif

amark - do you actually want to get rid of the downstairs switch for the landing light?

thanks for the replies everyone.
I don't actually want to remove the landing light switch downstairs I'm just not aware of a face with one dimmer and one switch because I don't really want a dimmer for the landing. Unless this is what we mean by grid switches with one dimmer and one switch in the same face? Just dawned to me! :p

With some makes of 2-gang dimmers you can buy a replacement module which is just a switch, but it looks the same. Less faffing about than a grid system.

I would favour the grid option personally, a dimmer that doesn't dim is a little confusing!

Where's the dimmer that doesn't dim?

There's a dimmer. Which does dim.

And there is a switch. Which does not dim. Because it is not a dimmer. It is a switch.

:rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back