One way to two way

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope I have the terminology right! I've been reading up on the previous posts etc, and think I will be able to cope, but need some reassurance!

Scenario;

Upstairs landing has a one switch light switch that controls the landing light.

Downstairs hallway has two switches. One to control the hall light and one that controls the upstairs landing light.

I want to be able to control the downstairs hall light from upstairs.

I will need a two gang two way switch, right?

But, my quesiotn is - would I need to do any \\\'new\\\' wiring or will the existing wiring going into the switch be enough?

Sorry if this is a stupid question.

TIA
Tricky

Sponsored Links
upstairs will require a 2 gang 2 way switch. you will need to install a 3C+E cable between the switches

Thanks guys! Good job I asked before the plasterer comes ;)

So - I've had a read up, and for the benefit of the donut :LOL: (thats me) leave all existing wiring in place and run a new cable from the downstairs switch to the new upstairs switch.

Sounds easy, doesn't it... :eek:

Sponsored Links
TR1CKY said:
leave all existing wiring in place and run a new cable from the downstairs switch to the new upstairs switch.

Sounds easy, doesn't it... :eek:

yes.

Cheers Andy!

Shall I open a seperate post for another question I have about adding an outside porch light?

Yes please

So - do I need to involve the hallway pendant at all? Sorry to ask, but if I do then that will be a NO NO as there is a wooden floor between that and the floorboards! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back