electrical fires

Surely worst of all would be if phase and neutral are reversed at the CU, where the CU is an old-style rewireable cartridge type. Then the only protection would be the 100A incoming fuse. But if that was wired in reverse... ;)

Sponsored Links
plugwash said:
actually reversal in the socket is far worse

with phase-neutral reversed in the socket then (assuming there is no rcd) the only protection from live(neutral as far as the appliance is concerned)-earth faults is the 32A breaker on the ring (or worse a 30A rewireable)

swapping live and neutral in the plug would probablly have little effect as the fuse would still be between mains live and the appliance and do not forget that appliances are designed for phase-neutral reversal nowadays (lots of european socket styles aren't even polarised)
reversal in the plugtop would still mean the flex was backed up by the 30A breaker/fuse. so socket or plugtop it makes no difference

AdamW said:
Surely worst of all would be if phase and neutral are reversed at the CU, where the CU is an old-style rewireable cartridge type. Then the only protection would be the 100A incoming fuse. But if that was wired in reverse... ;)
:LOL: Adam, always going one better :)
Actually i did a job once converting an old print shop into an engineering factory part of the makeshift alarm system was bellwire wired from microswitches above doors to a bell which on closer inspection was mains rated! but worse still it was fed by a timeswitch again wired in bellwire totally bypassing the Dist board and going straight into the incomer but NOT even on the 100amp side but the incoming side!!!???!!

If only it had been the fire-bell... think of the irony! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I don't know how I didn't remember this earlier, but I had an electrical fire once. I was in the lab at uni. I went and got a £20K digital oscilloscope, plugged it in and thought "Hmmm, not working." then I noticed a glow coming from the inside... Small orange flames licking about in there. I whipped the plug out of the wall and turned the 'scope onto it's topside on the bench, blocking the vents and putting the fire the wrong way up. Did the trick.

What we deduced had happened was that when stored in a cupboard, a small piece of metal had found its way in through the case vents. This shorted out the "wrong" conductors, and managed to set fire to something without any internal protection circuits or fuses cutting out, or any MCBs tripping. I don't think the technician bothered opening it to find out, the 'scope was, to put it technically, "absolutely f**ked", so binned. £20K worth. Ouch! Luckily the lab technician saw the whole thing so I wasn't liable for the equipment. :LOL:

kendor said:
plugwash said:
actually reversal in the socket is far worse

with phase-neutral reversed in the socket then (assuming there is no rcd) the only protection from live(neutral as far as the appliance is concerned)-earth faults is the 32A breaker on the ring (or worse a 30A rewireable)

swapping live and neutral in the plug would probablly have little effect as the fuse would still be between mains live and the appliance and do not forget that appliances are designed for phase-neutral reversal nowadays (lots of european socket styles aren't even polarised)
reversal in the plugtop would still mean the flex was backed up by the 30A breaker/fuse. so socket or plugtop it makes no difference

the thing you seem to be forgetting is the fuse is connected to the live pin of the plug however the user wires the plug (connecting the fuse to the wrong pin of the plug would basically require a totally different moulding its not going to happen)

lets take the simple case of a table lamp (with BC bulb)
lnreversal.png

the first image shows correct wiring
in this case a fault between the brown core of the appliance flex and earth should blow the plug fuse
a fault between the blue core of the appliance flex and earth probablly won't blow anything unless a rcd is involved but the current from such a fault is generally low enough not to do any real damage

for the second image the wiring has been reversed in the plug.
in this case a fault between the blue core of the appliance flex and earth should blow the plug fuse
a fault between the brown core of the appliance flex and earth probablly won't blow anything unless a rcd is involved but the current from such a fault is generally low enough not to do any real damage

in the third image the wiring has been reversed in the socket
in this case a fault between the blue core of the appliance flex and earth will have significan't voltage between it and earth and in the event of a fault to earth will only be stopped by the plug fuse
a fault between the brown core and earth is unlikely to bring enough current to blow the plug fuse

in the final image the wiring has been reveresed in both the plug and the socket
in this case a fault between the brown core of the appliance flex and earth will have significan't voltage between it and earth and in the event of a fault to earth will only be stopped by the plug fuse
a fault between the blue core and earth is unlikely to bring enough current to blow the plug fuse

Of Course you are completely right about the plugtop Grey matter not working properly :oops:

yUP, PLUG TOP AINT GONNA MAKE A DIFFERENCE. a REVERSAL IN THE SOCKET WOULD.

a REVERSAL IN THE cu WOULD MAKE NO DIFFERENCE EITHER, UNLESS IT WAS MAINS TAILS.

Lectrician said:
a REVERSAL IN THE cu WOULD MAKE NO DIFFERENCE EITHER, UNLESS IT WAS MAINS TAILS.

only partially true

while the correct operation of the protection in the CU would not be comprimised the correct operation of protective devices downstream (ie plug fuses) would be

this btw is why rcd on everything AND double pole breakers are required for caravan wiring

If mains tails where reversed, N everywhere would be live - no fuses in plug tops, or CU would operate with a '''n''' to E fault.

Bit boring - this 'what if' scenario.

But, yea, if the circuit cables where reversed, MCB would operate, but not plug top fuses.

breezer said:
i know all of that but you are all being technical about it, the question was should the fuse go first (to prevent a fire) , so i gave an example of what could happen :)

And answer said it in one specific example ....no. a fire can start from as little as 80mA tracking along a cable. Most fuses will not blow with just 80mA unless you also manage to get a decent increase in the load, beyond the fuse rating. So although fuses may help they won't prevent a fire if the fault has already ignited something. As for being technical....yes .. that's how you work things out isn't it?

Beanzy said:
. As for being technical....yes .. that's how you work things out isn't it?

you missed the point with your attempt at sarcasm, the origonal question was from a bloke who wanted a question answered as basicaly can or can not,

breezer said:
Beanzy said:
. As for being technical....yes .. that's how you work things out isn't it?

you missed the point with your attempt at sarcasm, the origonal question was from a bloke who wanted a question answered as basicaly can or can not,

and you read that in which part of his question?

I'm not going to assume anything about someones desire for info from the fact it's an arguement down the pub. Surely he needs as much info as he can use to outwit his pub mate?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back