Electrical Fires

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was speaking to a fireman this week. We were discussing his upcoming rewire and I was explaining what would be different from his existing three-fuse installation and why. He laughed when I mentioned new controls coming in (Part P and all that... ) because he said that when they investigate a fire, if there is no obvious cause the easiest thing is to put it down to an electrical fault. (In much the same way that speeding is blamed for every other road accident because sheer stupidity is too hard to prove!)

Sponsored Links
Dingbat..that is exactly what happens. However research by ERA showed that over 85% of all fire where electrical faults were implicated, turned out not to have an electrical cause on closer inspection.

This is actually why the Government play down such figures, it highlights the underfunding problem the Fire Brigade have as they are unable to investigate all but the most serious fires adequately.

Could be worse, what if they just said "the fire was an act of God"... household insurance wouldn't be worth a damn!

They always blame the electricity for an electrical fire... you never hear the blame going on the plumber who installed the water pipe that leaked onto the electrics. No-one says "the cause of the fire was water". Always an electrical fire... I reckon, they should introduce a new term. Water fire.

"Today a billion pounds of art and stuff was destroyed in a water fire. Firechiefs believe the fire was caused by a faulty compression joint behind the fridge. The sprinkler system activated, fuelling the blaze.".

Sponsored Links
It could happen:

Water = H2O

Hydrogen Peroxide = H202.

Thus, 2 H2O + O2 = 2 H202.

With a pressure cooker, anything's possible :p

Next time you accidentally cut yourself when you have a bottle of hydrogen peroxide lying around: the manganese V in your blood acts as a catalyst, so a drop of blood in a load of peroxide makes it fiz (sometimes violently)

Maybe we should then put out the fire with some D20 (Heavy Water)??

That should smother it!!!

Or better yet, T20... heavy water but made with tritium. It's freakin' radioactive, man!

Well, apparently it is so radioactive that almost all emissions would be absorbed in the water itself. But those are just details.

I thought all water was heavy, have you tried lifting one of those water cooler bottles! :LOL:

something just occured to me, if beer was made using heavy water would it be more satisfying? ;)

I have heard there is a problem with the chemical Dihydrogen Monoxide apparently there is an abundance of this and levels are set to rise due to global warming.

Dunno about more satisfying, but it would be 11% more dense. This might be better, it would stretch your stomach downwards a bit and make a bit more room at the top. :D

However, laboratory tests have shown that drinking only heavy water has an effect similar to chemo-therapy, i.e. cell growth stops, hair falls out and tumours may go into remission.

So, heavy beer would probably be pretty bad for you.

AdamW said:
Dunno about more satisfying, but it would be 11% more dense. This might be better, it would stretch your stomach downwards a bit and make a bit more room at the top. :D

However, laboratory tests have shown that drinking only heavy water has an effect similar to chemo-therapy, i.e. cell growth stops, hair falls out and tumours may go into remission.

So, heavy beer would probably be pretty bad for you.

Drinking beer heavily would probably have the same effect :LOL:

skwirrel said:
I have heard there is a problem with the chemical Dihydrogen Monoxide apparently there is an abundance of this and levels are set to rise due to global warming.

I've heard that countless people die because of it every year. It's also a corrosive material yet it's freely available in the shops. ;)

algenon_iii said:
skwirrel said:

I've heard that countless people die because of it every year. It's also a corrosive material yet it's freely available in the shops. ;)

Best not put it directly on a fire then, Drink it first ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back