Electric Fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Currently renovating my terraced house, this site is proving very valuable to me :D

I had a gas fire fitted in the dining room and was about to have one fitted in the front room, my plumber refused to do the job when he saw the state of the chimney stack inside, wasn't willing to install a gas fire in case loose bricks etc fell and blocked the flu or punctured the gas pipe. Which fare enough I understand and was wondering how he was going to do it. He advised me to get and electric fire as the only option available other than getting a builder in to fix the chimney.

So i've now got a Focal Point pebble style electric fire, will do the job I need it to do.

Now heres the question, can I use the flex from the fire to wire into a 13A DP Sw FCU? if not whats the best option?

i've spent a good few weeks moving water pipes so they are no longer visible, had gas pipes moved from view, i don't want at this stage to see the flex from the fire across the floor to the nearest socket :( so i thought of doing the above. Flex would come through the chimney around the alcove and to the FCU next to a double socket. total distance is roughly around 3 meters thats being generous!!

Any help will be appreciated

Regards

Gareth

Sponsored Links
1) Flex is not meant for fixed wiring, particularly when concealed. To do what you want you should use T&E for the buried run, terminating at a flex outlet plate.

2) But when you do that you should consider what might happen if someone later removes your electric fire and installs a real one.

3) Also when you do that you need to take account of the rules on concealed cables:

http://www.niceic.org.uk/downloads/C5-43.pdf

http://www.niceic.org.uk/downloads/concealedcables.pdf

http://www.iee.org/Publish/WireRegs...les_concealed_in_thin_walls_or_partitions.pdf

Sponsored Links
Nice one mate, just bought a chocolate box as my girlfriend thinks there called!!

Thanks for your help top man.

Ban - that's not strictly true. 7671 now permits the use of flexible cables for use as fixed wiring, as per 521-01-04.

HOWEVER, I would still use twin and earth as I feel it is more up to it.

securespark said:
Ban - that's not strictly true. 7671 now permits the use of flexible cables for use as fixed wiring, as per 521-01-04.

HOWEVER, I would still use twin and earth as I feel it is more up to it.

Can you expand on this please securespark as Reg 521-01-04 simply states "A flexible cable or flexible cord shall be used for fixed wiring only where the relevent provisions of the Regulations are met."

What are "the relevent provisions of the Regulations" and how are they met?

would a drop from a plug-in ceiling rose to a modular ceiling luminaire, in a suspended ceiling, class as fixed wiring? And the link from lamp to lamp across the ceiling?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back