How much for kitchen rewire?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently purchased a new electrical oven as the old one had stopped working (although the grill still functioned). The top (hob) is separate - run by gas. However, when the man from Curry's turned up today, he was unable to install the oven because apparently the cooker's circuit is running the entire kitchen and by law he cannot do the work as it is against legislation. He said it is a large fire risk and that I would need to find an electrician part P qualified in order to do the job (rewire kitchen and install oven).
The kitchen is small, with one switch, four sockets, as well as one that appears to be just a fuse?

I'm wondering how much it would be for this job as I'm already expecting it to be a lot and don't want to be overcharged :( Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Before we get too far into the stupidity, ignorance or lies of the installer, what make/model is the oven? Does it have a label on it saying what electrical load it is?

How was the old oven connected?

@ban-all-sheds I'm not sure regarding how it was connected, it was already installed when I moved in (leaseholder) but what the guy said was that there's one circuit running the entire kitchen as opposed to an independent circuit for the cooker.

Attachments

• IMG_1780.JPG
    IMG_1780.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 287
Is that the information for the new cooker?

If so, at 2.1KW that is about the same as a regular kettle. You could bung a plug on the lead and plug it into any handy 13A socket.

Sponsored Links
OK - so now we know that the oven is 2.15kW. The same as a typical washing machine, tumble drier, dishwasher, and less than many kettles.

when the man from Curry's turned up today, he was unable to install the oven because apparently the cooker's circuit is running the entire kitchen and by law he cannot do the work as it is against legislation.
He was not telling you the truth.

Either because he is stupidly ignorant, or because he is a liar.

He said it is a large fire risk
It isn't.

He was not telling you the truth.

Either because he is stupidly ignorant, or because he is a liar.

and that I would need to find an electrician part P qualified in order to do the job (rewire kitchen and install oven).
Even if you did need a separate circuit for the cooker you would not need the entire kitchen rewired.

Either he is stupidly ignorant, or he is a liar.

Actually my money is on the first.

If the property is rented, though, I doubt you're allowed to just start having wiring work done.

when the man from Curry's turned up today, he was unable to install the oven because apparently the cooker's circuit is running the entire kitchen and by law he cannot do the work as it is against legislation. He said it is a large fire risk
You should contact Currys and ask them to tell you, in writing, which laws and which regulations forbid the installation of the oven, and what makes it a large fire risk.

Basically they have sent someone to do a job which he is incapable of doing. IMO that is what is illegal here. You are fully entitled to a refund of what they charged you for installation, and in your shoes I would be minded to reject the appliance on the grounds that I wouldn't have bought it from them if they didn't offer installation, so as they are refusing to install it for made up reasons I don't want it.

You need to get someone who does know what he is doing, and does know that your 2.15kW oven can be connected using whatever connection the old one had.

@Taylortwocities
@ban-all-sheds

Sorry guys, those were the specs for the old oven. The new one is 2.5kW max does the same still apply?
Either way, he did inform me that I could get a refund for the service that he was meant to provide.
So do you think I could pay for anyone else to install it with no problem and no need for messing with the electrical circuit?
Now I think about it, he did say that he wasn't an electrician...how would he know? Maybe he just had no clue how to install it in my house. :p

I recently purchased a new electrical oven as the old one had stopped working (although the grill still functioned). The top (hob) is separate - run by gas.

This sounds like a dual-fuel cooker. I've had some, and they usually come with a 13A plug attached (provided there is just a single oven and the grill can't be used at the same time) so they can be plugged in.

I currently have one with two ovens, and it has to be hardwired as it is rated at 4kW.

Yes - everything still applies at 2.5kW - it's still less than 13A, and still less than many kettles etc.

Get your refund, but still pursue Currys - they should not be sending people to do jobs which they are not competent to do and who mislead, inconvenience and alarm their customers as a result. Basically that guy should not have that job.

You should have no problems finding someone who does know how to do it, but please check what you are allowed to do as you don't own the property.

Thank you Lisa, you have just tipped me over the 2,000!

:LOL:

I don't know who is the bigger arse: the man who told you this pure shoite or the company for sending him...

What a pair of douchebags.

The first is some poor bugger who took a job which he was told would involve doing A, B & C, was interviewed and was found by the employer to be good enough at A, B & C to be given the job.

And they then started sending him out to do something other than A, B & C, or to do A, B, C & D, without the necessary training.

We have heard this story too often for it to be a case of one or two employees having successfully pulled the wool over their employees eyes about being able to do A, B & C. The real culprits are undoubtedly the employers cynically taking money to provide a service which they cannot properly provide.

Given that a minority of the UK electorate have said that they want a government which will take away employees' rights, a delivery driver would now find it very hard to bring a claim for unfair dismissal if he refused to do work which he didn't know how to do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back