Electrical qualifications

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I was wondering what qualifications i would need to become an electrian? i have the following

C&G 16th Edition (2380)
C&G inspection and testing (2391)
C&G PAT testing course (2377)
Part P to be taken Jan 2006

Im lucky that my work have paid for these and was wondering what i should be looking at next? My long term goal is to become self employed so any advice would be great.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
i think you need the following:

1. certification your not stupid (you can self certify)
2. the ability to read and understand diagrams
3. the ability to use a screwdriver.

thats my 2p worth

Lorraine :D

4. The ability to pay several hundred pounds a year to an organisation that will rank you as equal to people who've only done a 5-day course and not get all bitter and twisted about it.

Quite agree BAN I'm 2391 qualified and wouldn't know one end of a PIR from the other, as I never did or never have since done one. Just went ont he course so the company paperwork could keep its NICEIC stamp on the bottom, as we add the occasional spur for installing social alarm systems etc.

They now realize it's probably not worth all it costs them and are probably going to ditch it anyway!

Sponsored Links
1974stephen said:
Quite agree BAN I'm 2391 qualified and wouldn't know one end of a PIR from the other, as I never did or never have since done one. Just went ont he course so the company paperwork could keep its NICEIC stamp on the bottom, as we add the occasional spur for installing social alarm systems etc.

They now realize it's probably not worth all it costs them and are probably going to ditch it anyway!

What did you do on the 2391 course Stephen

Did you learn/demonstrate your ability to test electrical installations using suitable equipment?

or was is a paperwork Q&A type course?

i'm curious as to its content

it was a four day course. With a half day practical exam, and then the C&G exam at the end. I failed the written first time, but passed second time, mainly because by the re-sit we'd done that many past papers, we knew the type of questions that were going to be asked, and in fact some were practically repeated in the exam I passed on!

I feel that to do 2391 you should already require part one and part two - or whatever their knew numbers are now. Our lecturer kept saying at the beginning of the course that it was designed for already competent and experienced working electricians - which of course although I would class myself as competent for most single phase electrical work I'm no electrician. House re-wires, doing armoured, fitting stuff etc no problem, but when it comes to discrimination and system design it's a non starter for 10.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back