Electrical regulation in UK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Could anyone explain me technically/electrically why in my small bathroom (where now it is fitted one of this copper cylinders with foam insulation) might be not possible to install one of these Heatrae cistern type?

Really many thanks

Sponsored Links
I don't see why there should be a problem, but what do you mean by a "cistern type"?

Oilman,

you should understand that I am Italian. I have seen all my life in the bathroom a nice white wall hung hot water storage cylinder.

Now in UK I find these zones in the bathroom and my plumber told me “you cannot fit one of those, because of the steam, electrical discharge, blah, blah”.

So because my bathroom is small and I need to get rid off this huge copper cylinder with foam around and a place a small 50L unvented cylinder (or rectangular or cistern type), cause we are 2 and we have an electrical shower.

There is no problem with an unvented cylinder as you describe, but you will have to tell the building control office of your local council, and you must have it fitted by a registered operator. Ask to see their card, if they have any excuse, find some one else. Do you have gas or electrical heating?

Sponsored Links
That`s been my problem all along. I live in this flat with no gas in the entire building. So I have studying the most efficient and CHEAP option. So my questions are:

1. a proper plumber is very expensive, so what's wrong if it will be a friend to fit this unvented cylinder
2. what do you mean inform the council?do I have to ask the permission?what if I just put and that's it.

Sorry oilman, but so many regulations in this country stress me.

think i am right in saying you can not install one because if done wrong they can literally explode, taking you, your flat and neighbours with it.

edited to add.

yep, i am right, see this 3rd post down

"so many regulations in this country stress me."

The ONLY things which you have to have a worker with certtification for, are Gas, and Unvented Hot water! If you get a friend to install the unvented cylinder you are comitting a criminal offence. They can be very dangerous. I have a picture of half a French school. The other half went , with the cylinder.

Electrical regulations require (in effect) that appliances in bathrooms have to be in a cupboard so nobody can touch them.

ok I have got it.

Only one question remains unanswered: Do I need to ask the permission to the council or only Inform the council?

You need to inform the council, and wait for their permission to proceed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back