Electrical safety - is this a danger to the public?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On the Council Promenade? there is a public "Walking on Water" ride. There is a JO JO type 230v extension cable being used to supply a water filter pump for the water in the inflatable "swimming pool" that members of the public get into all be it in a plastic 6ft ball (as seen on Blue Peter). The JoJo reel is less than 1 metre from the pool - casually draped on top of the water filter and pump and also reachable through the wire fencing by a child. The Jo Jo extension outlet is external, is not under cover and is left out all day and night even in the rain. Sometimes because of an air-lock in the pipe work and the pump trying to pump but not doing anything it might look if the pump and filter is not switched on. The Jo Jo cable itself is laying in puddles when it rains/after it rains/and when the filter pipe-work leaks The same puddle and wet ground that spectators are standing in/on.

The council have been informed but 2 days later nothing has changed.

Perhaps there is no danger - what do you think?

If so is there anyone else that can be informed?

Sponsored Links
Hi Midknight.
Hopefully RCD protection is in place. ;)

I am not sure but these folk may be worth a call if you are after reassurance?
http://www.hse.gov.uk/contact/complaintsandconcerns.htm

Ed

To others, sorry to add but;
Would Section 740 or Section 702, or both ? (7671) be the correct place to look for the relevant regs regarding this 'type' of installation please ? :oops:

What is a Jo Jo? Is it the MK Commando type, blue plug and socket? BS EN 60309 (old BS4343)

If so they are IP44 so for the water part of the code it is protected against water splashed from all directions but not from temporary immersion, like in a puddle.

I think I'd be cringing seeing people walk over that like. :mad:

Sponsored Links
JoJo extension reel:
42358296.jpg

If it is laying in water, then pretty obviously there is no RCD, or if there is, it is broken.

JoJo reel is like the one in the picture - many thanks.

Email sent to Riddor

Thanks for all the advice.

I will be interested to see result. I have seen many times what I consider to be suspect. But it may all be supplied from a 10ma RCD and although fool hardy not really a danger.

To me the extension lead wrapped in plastic is more of a problem as one does not know what it is and can unwittingly come contact and get a shock.

At least you can see what it is. And making waves may mean next time they set up it will be hidden under bin liners and the like.

simply take photo's of it, then walk past, scream in pain and fall to the floor flapping about like you're getting a shock.. then phone one of those "lawyers 4 u" type places and get a big settlement from them.. :)

Perfectly sound and safe installation out here ;) ;) What is missing though is the plug being removed and wedged into the socket with matchsticks Perhaps a few places taped over even the odd choccy block with the rusted seized screw ...............ahhhhh happy days

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back