Electrical Safety Test

Ok. Apologies for maligning Eric, but I still do not think it was as clear as you make out.
Anyone reading post #11 would have no idea that that was the case.

Plus, I can find no reference to having to go on a course and take a test to be able to rent your house, so... - and there are many other mistakes frequently made by Eric.

As for not making it clear that my comments apply only to England - I do not feel it is up to the large majority on the site to continually 'make it clear' that things do not apply to a small minority who have decided to do something different.

Sponsored Links
Ok. Apologies for maligning Eric, but I still do not think it was as clear as you make out.
Anyone reading post #11 would have no idea that that was the case.

Anyone who only read comment number 11 might not have known that but that is not you. The only response between Eric's comments 9 & 11 was by you.

Clearly you did not take it in but I think it was pretty clear, especially so to any regulars as Eric often mentions that he only knows the rules in Wales.

EFLImpudence said:
and there are many other mistakes frequently made by Eric.

I think that Eric uses a text-to-speech device so there is reasonably often the wrong word when it is a homophone (or something similar) but I am not aware of him making false claims.

EFLImpudence said:
As for not making it clear that my comments apply only to England - I do not feel it is up to the large majority on the site to continually 'make it clear' that things do not apply to a small minority who have decided to do something different.

I wasn't seriously suggesting that you do so, but perhaps you might bear in mind that some things have always been different (Scots law being separate was part of the Act of Union) and that with devolution this has increased a lot. So if something seems wrong it is probably better to ask what is going on rather than telling them they have written drivel.

If someone is talking twaddle then you always have the option of making that clear when they removed any doubt about this.

Thanks for all the comments. (y)

Eric is correct that in Wales if you want to rent out your house you have to obtain a licence from the Welsh Government, and to get that licence you have to take a course and sit a test. I have done this and it cost me approximately £240 in terms of the course fee, test fee and licence fee. The alternative is to use a suitably qualified and licenced Letting Agent, who will have gone through the same shaboodle, but the fees for agents are huge. One Agent told me it cost hime £5k to get his licence, as the fee is based of how many properties you look after and I believe, but not sure that any staff employed who interact with tenants in any way administrative or maintainance, have to be trained and qualified as well. The Welsh Government agency that administers all this is called Rent Smart for those interested.

Back to my OP. I was really wondering if the test would force me to upgrade my consumer unit to current regs, even if it is working as it should. It seems that from your advice that the current regs are not enforced retrospectively, although it might be wise to upgrade my CU from a safety point of view.

Sponsored Links
Back to my OP. I was really wondering if the test would force me to upgrade my consumer unit to current regs, even if it is working as it should. It seems that from your advice that the current regs are not enforced retrospectively, although it might be wise to upgrade my CU from a safety point of view.
Correct.
You will most likely get a C3 for the CU not having a steel case, and either a C2 or C3 if not all circuits are RCD protected. If, for example, the bathroom light isn't on an RCD then there'll be a "defect" shown for that, and so on. As long as the EICR, note that it's a Report not a Test, says the installation is satisfactory then it would be considered safe. Bringing it fully up to current standards is then a matter for you to decide where to plant the flag on the expenditure/risk line.

PS - one thing not mentioned yet ...
There's a lot of anecdotal evidence that some electricians use an EICR as a means of making paid work for themselves - an especially common trick being to tell the customer that they "must" have a new CU. In some cases the existing CU could be upgraded (eg swapping out MCBs for RCBOs to make it all-RCD), or it might only be a matter of the one put in 18 months ago having a plastic case but otherwise fully compliant. When he lists the defects, check that they are specific - there have been a few cases here where someone has asked "what does this mean ?" and the defects are so vague as to get the response "anyone's guess !" :whistle:
I guess what this boils down to is ... if the guy has a long suck through his teeth, lists loads of defects, and quotes you a tidy sum to fix them - you might want to get a second opinion.

PS - one thing not mentioned yet ...
Wish it was not true, but yes it seems people do try it on, the problem I find is the report flags a fault, but does not say exactly what the fault is, or want part of the regulations or even what regulation says it's not permitted.

For example there is nothing in BS7671 to say what height a socket should be, that is part of building regulations, and would depend on when the house was built, even with a full rewire if a building is listed there are different rules, again England, Scotland and Wales are different. And anyone can make a genuine error, so you look at a report which says new distribution unit is required, and you look at the units and think which one and why, had they said "because there is asbestos in it" then you could work it out, or does not comply with 522.6.6 again some idea, but even reading the best practice guide, it says you should note it when sockets are overloaded with multi socket units, which to be frank may have been removed before the house is rented.

I have in the past I will admit got it wrong, I have told people there is no law saying you have to get an EICR done for example, that may be true in England, but not true for Scotland, and not sure in Wales. I can say BS7671 is not law but can be used in a court of law, as it says so in the actual book, but heights of sockets, fans in bathrooms, and many other electrical items are part of building regulations and not even in Part P.

And unlike BS7671 when there is a change one does not have to sit a course and take an exam, I read an early copy and it said where there is a non opening window, in a bathroom, there has to be a fan, which can be connected to lights, but must be able to be turned on without the lights, I have since hunted to see which part of the building regulations I found this, and I can't now find it, as to if I am looking in wrong section, or if it has been removed I don't know.

However on a more positive thing if you read this PDF it gives you an idea what should be included, there is a picture "Older immersion heater without thermal cut-out" in that guide that does point out the problems, with a plastic header tank, without the cut-out the header tanks have been known to split, in one case killing a baby, however where solid fuel heating is used, the cut-out is not required, as the solid fuel can cause water to boil which will stop immersion heater from then working as it has been over heated, so with solid fuel it must be re-settable and is not really required as header tank will stand boiling water, but where electric is only form of water heating, then the cut-out is normally a non resettable type.

Personally I think the flimsy plastic header tanks should have been banned, but that's another story, just pointing out how easy it is to make a mistake because you have relied on a guide rather then looking at what is behind the guide.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back