Electrical setup for catering trailer

Waeco make a series of fridges and freezers for boats and caravan that use compressors and are clearly designed to stand the movements of a vehicle or boat. Some have 12 volt motors and some have 230 volt motors, they also do power supplies so can be arranged as duel voltage.

However these units are not cheap, the standard domestic unit is around 1/3rd of the price, the big question is how long would a cheap domestic unit last compared with one designed for the job? Plus of course the cost of meat should the unit fail, a domestic freezer may have some expensive lumps of meat, but I know ours also has apple pie filling made each November from fresh apples off our tree which we don't really want to lose, but would only cost what it has already cost to freeze it should we loose it.

However 10th Sept 2017 to now is a fair time, and I suspect whatever was going to be done has been done now. I will admit I have a 32 litre freezer which could be converted with ease with an electronic thermostat to work as wine cooler, fridge or freezer and would use a lot less power than the multi-fuel fridge with freezer compartment in my caravan. However since I pay for electric hook-up in the main as a fixed fee, it would not save me any money, so why bother.

The modern inverter generator is much cheaper to run than the old type as it spends most of the time at tick over speed, it only revs up when there is a load, but big question is will it provide the start load? Modern inverter fridge/freezers have a very low start load compared with old single phase motors so they would likely be OK. However the big question, would you want to take the risk and buy an inverter generator and an inverter refrigeration unit and cross your fingers that they will be OK, or would you buy items guaranteed to work?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back