Electrical Socket height..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a regulation for the height from the floor for Electrical Sockets?
Its a 1950 Bungalow...
Cheers...

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
For a new building there are height requirements. But not for existing buildings/extensions.
Do you have a specific problem?

For a new building there are height requirements. But not for existing buildings/extensions.
Do you have a specific problem?
Cheers....I am decorating my longue so adding a couple of double sockets to an existing ring circuit.....the sockets that are already here are about 12" from the floor......Ive looked on the internet and it mentions 450mm(18") from the floor for 'new builds'.....

Sponsored Links
I am decorating my longue so adding a couple of double sockets to an existing ring circuit
Some points to note:

• There are restrictions on where concealed cables may run: https://www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:walls
  • The guidance for maintaining the strength of walls is for the depth of horizontal chases to be no more than ¹/6 of the thickness of the wall (for vertical it's ⅓, so unlikely to be a problem)
  • The socket circuit needs to be RCD protected

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back