The height of a new Electrical Socket.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to pre-install some new electrical sockets and would like some guidance in where to place them please.

I live in a 1940’s house and would like to place another socket in my living room on the opposite side of the wall. The current socket is about 8inches/200mm from ground level and would like to position the new socket at the same height.

Here’s the question: Because it’s an old house, can I install the socket(s) at the same height, around 8” off the ground or because it’s a whole new socket, does it need to be a regulation height?

I know if you build a new building, sockets have to be, by law, at a minimal height but does this apply to older houses?

I’m hoping that 8” off the ground would be ok as if it was much higher, it would look out of place! :(

Thank you, Paul.

Sponsored Links
socket outlet heights only apply to new construction, you can match the existing height in your house.

What if it's a new installation (rewire) in an old house?

Sponsored Links
What if it's a new installation (rewire) in an old house?
Height of sockets/switches applies to new property only - unless the property is being converted from one use to another.

I've just had a rewire of my 30s semi and all the sockets have gone at regulation height, which on first sight seemed rather high. The spark said they had to go at that height.

I'm not really complaining, just curious - previously they were too low (on skirting boards). :)

I've just had a rewire of my 30s semi and all the sockets have gone at regulation height, which on first sight seemed rather high. The spark said they had to go at that height.

I'm not really complaining, just curious - previously they were too low (on skirting boards). :)

When you're renovating old buildings, you're not expected to bring everything up to modern standards (it's not practical)-you'd end up knocking the building down and starting over. You wouldn't be required to change the height of ceilings e.t.c. to today's minimum heights if you were re-plasterboarding for example, and you can't make all old builings accessible for disabled people, so electrical wiring is no different. If all the sockets were mounted on the skirting board and new ones were being chased into the wall, it's up to you which height they go

Mounting on skirting boards is deprecated as the sockets are vulnerable to damage from being knocked or kicked.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back