Socket height off floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm creating new socket points in my rooms

I plan to set the socket height at 275mm off the ground

After chiseling out the first socket in the brickwork, generally do sparkies use a laser level to give them the same height across the entire room for the additional sockets?

Or is it best to measure 275mm off the ground for each individual sockets in the room?

I ask as i noticed that the floor in the room is not entirely level/straight

For example, when i used the laser level, some sockets measured 260-265mm off the ground as opposed to 275mm

Sponsored Links
In a kitchen sparkies tend to use a laser if kitchen isn't in.

Otherwise off floor is fine - you can't read 10 or 15mm around a room, unless tiled walls

I'm creating new socket points in my rooms

I plan to set the socket height at 275mm off the ground

After chiseling out the first socket in the brickwork, generally do sparkies use a laser level to give them the same height across the entire room for the additional sockets?

Or is it best to measure 275mm off the ground for each individual sockets in the room?

I ask as i noticed that the floor in the room is not entirely level/straight

For example, when i used the laser level, some sockets measured 260-265mm off the ground as opposed to 275mm
Why so low?

Why so low?
Is that low for a old Victorian house? The sockets were originally 140mm, just above the skirting :D

Anyway, I trialed 275mm and i liked it.

In a kitchen sparkies tend to use a laser if kitchen isn't in.

Otherwise off floor is fine - you can't read 10 or 15mm around a room, unless tiled walls

Kinda jumped the gun and already used the laser around the room.

Glad it is perfectly fine to do this. Thanks for the help

Sponsored Links
I often overheard sparks talking about minimum height of sockets and seen them setting at something like 500mm from floor.
Wait for a spark to reply, you don't want to start filling holes...

I often overheard sparks talking about minimum height of sockets and seen them setting at something like 500mm from floor.
Wait for a spark to reply, you don't want to start filling holes...
Thanks for the comment.

According to my research and this thread
https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/full-re-wire-height-of-sockets-and-light-switches.489875/

The socket can be at a height of your choosing as long as it is not a new build.

Some also stated that it shouldn't be lower than the existing socket heights

I had a disabled mother, and in a wheel chair she could reach the floor without a problem, and socket height was not a problem in most rooms, odd one out was kitchen where sockets had a work top between her and the socket, the big problem was thermostat height, where not only do you want to reach it, you also need to read it, same with eye level oven controls, it the wheel chair she was looking up to the controls, but so many had the display designed to look down onto. So 120 mm too high, just 10 mm lower so much better.

She would say it is easy for some one standing to bend down, but not for some one in a wheel chair to jump up.

However I remember having to mount some wall lights, the floor sloped down and the ceiling sloped up, so measured 2/3 of distance between floor and ceiling and used a string line so they looked spot on, then after completed a false ceiling was installed, ups.

It isn't necessarily though, not all people with mobility issues are wheelchair users.
Quite so - but some are - which shows the futility of any attempt at a one-size-fits-all set of guidances, let alone rules, to specify things like the heights and locations of electrical accessories.

If making provision for someone with mobility or disability issues were as simple as that (rather than, as is often the case, needing to be determined on an individual case-by-case basis), many Occupational Therapists would be out of a job :)

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back