Socket Heights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am a DIYer and in the process of completely rewiring a bungalow. The new sockets are below the housing regulations requirements for accesibility for disabled users, but are acceptable as I see it, as they are about 14" from the floor and that will prevent any damage to the plugs / flex etc.

The inspector said it is fine as new individual sockets, but as it is a complete rewire, they should be installed to the new heights.

The handbook says any new buildings should have the sockets & switches etc installed to the measurements for disabled users (figures not to hand hence not stated here).

So the question is, am I ok to install the sockets lower because the handbook says they should be higher in new buildings and therefore rules my 1960's bungalow out, OR is the inspector correct as it is a complete rewire of the building and that they should be higher???

Sponsored Links
I know they are not within the zone as specified in building regs M1 section 8.3, but who is correct?

I suspect we are both correct, but I could easily be wrong!

Good link by the way, thanks for that! :)

The general rule on mounting heights - if you are extending or modifying an installation then you can match the existing. If you are re-wiring which is a new installation then the current building regs apply.

So IMO your building inspector is right. But because your bungalow will not meet any other regs within Part M I would be very surprised if you couldn't talk your inspector round.

Personally, having tried the new heights I now prefer them at 450 & 1200.

Don't forget the regs also apply to the height and location of your consumer unit

Sponsored Links
I was under the impression that the DDA heights only apply to new build properties, or properties which are being fully refurbished. They do not apply if only rewiring an existing property.

I also agree that having got used to the new heights, they are actually not that bad an idea, nor are they as unsightly in a finished property, as first imagined.

I agree with RF. I went into this whole issue last year as I was completely rewiring an existing flat and my client didn't want the sockets and switches at the silly new heights. As it was not a 'new build', that particular aspect of Part M didn't apply, we reasoned. But ask someone from, say, the IEE, and they might say differently. So much is open to interpretation.

I agree thats what it says in the OSG but the building regs apply to all new installations. As a re-wire is classed as a new installation all of the current building regs apply, Part M being one of them. If my interpretation is incorrect I'm sure our building reg expert will put me straight

IMO It's the same as changing windows, re-doing a bathroom, fitting a new kitchen....

I'm pleased it isn't just me that doesn't fully interpret the situation as per another installer.

Building regs M1 section 8 (p.69) do state that "the aim is to assist those whose reach is limited", and that "Switches and cocket outlets for lighting and other equipment should be located so that they are easily reachable". It then goes on to state appropriate heights are between 450mm & 1200mm from finished floor level.

I am unable to find where part M of the building regs state to all new installations (does this include wiring), it may be mention elsewhere in other parts of the building regs. The wiring regulations do not state any height zones.

I can see that a re-wire may be classed as a new installation though.

It really is open for debate if a standard domestic re-wire is not passed due to the height requirement because of interpretation.

Yes, I agree with RF too. I have hammered this out with the ODPM.

The heights mentioned only apply to new-build. If rewiring an existing property, you can stick to existing positions.

I rewired a customer's property recently, only for him to complain to my manager about it, citing Part M.

This is how I found out!

securespark said:
Yes, I agree with RF too. I have hammered this out with the ODPM.

The heights mentioned only apply to new-build. If rewiring an existing property, you can stick to existing positions.

Just like Diesel9a1 I can't find that statement in Part M, I can only find it in the OSG?

PS, I hope you enjoyed your birthday...

Could be in BS8300:2001? This is non-mandatory unless directly referred to in the specification or the specification contains a general requirement to the effect that the electrical installation must comply with all relevent standards and codes. (P154 GN1)

the electrical installation must comply with all relevent standards and codes

This is fine and I don't think anyone has a problem with this, but do these rules regarding the installation heights of socket / light switches etc apply to:

- new wiring to new builds (extensions or complete house) or
- re-wires of old buildings or
- part re-wires of old buildings or
- new additional wiring to old buildings

We need a definition / quote of when the new heights apply.

iirc unless its a complete new build property or a gut to external walls only type refurb you only have to leave disabled accessibility no worse than it was before you started.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back