Electrical tap boxes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
what is a tap box - An electrician is going to install this with an armoured core cable to run to the garage. Because the consumer unit is full he will take tales from the consumer unit - is there circuit protection in tap boxes and need it to be physically small the area it is to be installed in Help pulse kind regards johnscts

Sponsored Links
I think it is what most of us call a Heley block and that has no protection so cable would need to be at least 16mm² which seems over kill for a shed. But he could also be using a FCU (fused connection unit) which as name suggests does have a fuse. The person to ask is the electrician doing the job.

Hi Eric
Thanks for your quick response - it will be 6 mil armoured core cable I think this equates to about 2.5 mil internal. I am worried that he said he will connect tails to the consumer unit (I am assuming the buzz bar) and then run that to a "tap box" and from there armoured core through to a garage unit my worry is that I need an isolator (ie RCB/MCB) at this end as well. Many thanks again if you an help

As mentioned you need more detail to get the full picture. For what it's worth our connection is taken by Henley blocks splitting the tails before the consumer unit, then we have an isolator containing both a switch and a fuse between those tails and the armoured cable to the outbuildings. What's going at the garage end?

Sponsored Links
Thanks aesmith the garage has 2 double 13A sockets and 2 strip lights they are at present protected by a garage unit (breaker for power and breaker for lights. I am really concentrating on the house in with a armoured core ( do not know the spec for 6mm I don't want a very heavy duty cable the concern is the tails from the consumer unit - is this legal - ps thanks again regards john

Because the consumer unit is full he will take tales from the consumer unit
I hope you have misunderstood.

If not, ditch him and get an electrician whose work will be safe - trying to jam another set of tails into the CU main switch is not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back