Earthing Galvanised conduit boxs in garden

Sponsored Links
I just want someone to check, that in their qualified opinion, the wiring is as safe as possible, even if it means exceding the regulations' requirements. eg earthing at both ends makes sence to me even if it isn't a requirement of the regulations.

Here you go RF one of you're first converts, braychurchmouse has enough common sense to realise that earthing should be carried out at both ends of a cable, seems you may have convinced him that he is wrong.
No, the cable must be earthed at least at one end (the supply end). The circuit protective conductor for the whole circuit must still be continuous.
Lets hope he does'nt kill himself next time he's connecting something and the earth wire snaps off, and he says to himself "Oh well it does'nt matter the other end of the cable is earthed"
If it snaps off then it hasn't been done it right in the first place.
Also, it is bad practice to connect unused cable cores to anything!
Absolute rubbish, good practice is to connect any spare cores to earth.

I just want someone to check, that in their qualified opinion, the wiring is as safe as possible, even if it means exceding the regulations' requirements. eg earthing at both ends makes sence to me even if it isn't a requirement of the regulations.

Here you go RF one of you're first converts, braychurchmouse has enough common sense to realise that earthing should be carried out at both ends of a cable, seems you may have convinced him that he is wrong.

Lets hope he does'nt kill himself next time he's connecting something and the earth wire snaps off, and he says to himself "Oh well it does'nt matter the other end of the cable is earthed"

braychurchmouse, ask a local approved contractor to carry out a survey and safety check of your external installation.

Also, it is bad practice to connect unused cable cores to anything!

Unused cores should be earthed or otherwise made safe, never snipped off or left floating due to the fact they may pick up voltage off the other cables in the same sheath.

Do you ever use 2 core SWA?

How many ends is that cable earthed at?

Sponsored Links
Please excuse my question from a non-electrician. Have been following this discussion with interest as previous occupants of my son's house had garden wiring put in with armoured cable etc and RCD etc etc.

I would like at some stage to get an approved electrician in to check the wiring is safe. I am more concerned about safety than merely conforming to regulations (as some of you seem to disagree so much on their interpretation :)). I just want someone to check, that in their qualified opinion, the wiring is as safe as possible, even if it means exceding the regulations' requirements. eg earthing at both ends makes sence to me even if it isn't a requirement of the regulations.

So my question is this...is it possible to contract someone to make these examinations and tests, and how would I phrase the requirement? Would they be able to pronounce the wiring safe without digging up half the garden?

Oh yes and as a minor postscript I wondered about RFs opinion that...
You should tie any unused conductors in a cable to earth anyway.
I have this thought that someone connects the unused red or brown wire in a cable at one end to earth and then someone else later decides that its a good idea to connect the other end to live source.....and the earth is only connected at one end...and....?

The red/brown core would be considered line 1 and thus would nearly always be in use. Other cores however may not be. The cabes would be connected together at one end and sleeved g/y and placed into the MET at the supply end also sleeved or taped g/y.

Cables will not always be earthed at both ends. For example it is bad pratice to export TNCS. So in which case a submain to an external building would be on a single phase system 2 core swa earthed at the supply end and the outbuilding put onto a TT system, seperated from the main buildings earth. Connecting the armour to earth at this end could have severe implications in the event of a neutral fault on the PME network. This however is getting complicated for the average DIYer to understand.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back