Electrical - Wiring new security garden light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, complete novice here.... Old security light has completely eroded due to age. Bought a straight replacement. Original wire is still fine and wired through to a switch in the kitchen.

I have taken the old light off but when I have come to fit the new light the wiring diagrams dont match. The wire coming from my kitchen has 3 wires, 2 black and 1 red. The new light has Green/Yellow, red, brown, blue and white. Not sure what goes where now, any help would be appreciated?

Sponsored Links
For a single outside light you would normally just connect to the Live (brown), neutral (blue) and earth (green/yellow). The other terminals are either a link to the PIR or links to the next light (if you have one).

This assumption is based on the wires from the switch providing a Live (red), Neutral (black) and Earth connection.

However, you have not mentioned an earth - and you seem to have too many black cables unless one is acting as a switch live and the other the neutral. Do any of them have red sleeving on?

You will need to look inside the switchbox to see what the set up is there and if possible provide photographs of both your switch wires and the new light unit terminal block.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back