Electrician put extractor fan venting into loftspace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am concerned about the extractor fan installation an electrician just put into my house. I was out when he put it in and he has placed it above a radiator in the bathroom ceiling ducting straight into the empty loft space.

This doesn't seem right. Also, the ducting he had was obviously too long and he has left the excess coiled up on the loft floor so the air must travel farther and farther before it eventually is expelled into my loft space!

Is this all wrong? Can I assume he should put it right without charge? Better I find another sparky?

I am thinking he went through to the loft because the outside wall is above my neighbours garage and he would have to climb a ladder to put the grill on.

Your thoughts would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
My thoughts are that he has not finished the job & is waiting for you to contact him to discuss the way you want it vented ie through the roof, through the ridge. through the soffit etc.. Or at least I hope that is the case.

Afraid not, it is a trickle humidistat one - already running and he has secured it to a rafter. I got a message saying the job is finished..

I got a message saying the job is finished..

How about sending him one back saying you aren't paying him until it's actually finished?

You really don't want steam being vented into your loft. You'll end up with condensation on the underside of the roof and the rafters rotting.

You probably have a few options. Either going out under the soffit (most common) or replacing one of the roof tiles with a vent and going out that way.

Either way the job definitely isn't finished. Did you not agreed what he was going to do beforehand?

Sponsored Links
I had some bathroom fitters in who subcontracted the work. I left it to them, and they left it to the electrician to decide.

He told my fitters that my fan - the Envirovent "Filterless" Extractor fan has a "steam filter" that will prevent any future problems. He already got paid. He is not taking my calls. I would report him to the competent scheme but I guess this isn't an electrics issue.

Steam filter.
laughing.gif

Just spoke to him - apparently this is how he has been taught to do extractors and he claims it is fine.

He says he is a competent person with NICEIC and as such in his expert opinion it is fine. He didn't check the extractor fan box or instructions supplied because I bought the fan. It wasn't his job to do so.

He says the fan, and manufacturing instructions, will not say to vent outside only (he also tried to argue that kitchen extractor fans don't need to so, and as this fan is kitchen/bathroom fan, it is allowed to vent indoors).

I mean, how do I argue against that?!

The instructions will state the fan must be ducted outside. Check the manufacturer's installation information. The electrician MUST follow the makers instructions, it is a requirement of BS7671.

If you have a dispute with an NICEIC member then you can call NICEIC and they will resolve the issue.

Look here for more info: http://www.niceic.com/householder/complaints

Say that the whole purpose of a bathroom extractor fan is that it should extract the moisture from the room but not to dump it in the loft.

Kitchen filters collect the grease on a paper filter but do nothing to remove moisture from the room.
These are cooker hoods - not extractor fans.

I personally don't think I'd bother to try arguing further with someone who appears to believe what he has told you! Although I realise that you've already been told the answer, you could try asking him how you can contact NICEIC - that might at least bring it home to him that you are not going to let the matter drop.

However, if you did want to try arguing further, one point that no-one seems yet to have made it that what he has done must surely violate Part F of the Building Regulations (which relate to ventilation)?

Kind Regards, John

Exactly why i do all the work myself, screw the "regs" i take far more care and attention (though technically can't afford my own rates)

If you employed bathroom fitters to do a job & they subcontracted part of it then your argument is with them & it is up to them to resolve the problem to your satisfaction. They can't blame the electrician & expect you to sort the mess out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back