Electricians's documentation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could anyone help me please? Is there any documentation an electrician should sign when the whole job is finished - recessed low voltage lights & sockets in kitchen? If I ever wanted to change to mains voltage recessed lights would an electrician use the same cabling or would he have to run new? They are all two way switched. Each light has its own transformer. My electrician keeps letting me down and my trusty plasterers are waiting in the wings-terracotta tiles having been laid today as planned ages ago! Should I find a new electrician mid-job or is that a bad idea? Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks. marliz

Sponsored Links
marliz said:
Could anyone help me please? Is there any documentation an electrician should sign when the whole job is finished - recessed low voltage lights & sockets in kitchen? If I ever wanted to change to mains voltage recessed lights would an electrician use the same cabling or would he have to run new? They are all two way switched. Each light has its own transformer. My electrician keeps letting me down and my trusty plasterers are waiting in the wings-terracotta tiles having been laid today as planned ages ago! Should I find a new electrician mid-job or is that a bad idea? Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks. marliz

can i redirect you attention to your post here

When a Job is completed the Electrician should complete a small works Certificate and supply a copy to you, the client.

This is only done when all work is complete though, so if it is not then he would not have done any testing.

Regarding the wiring, the only wiriong that could be reused would be any that is used to feed 230V to the transformers. The Cable from the transformer to the light would not be able to be used to feed 230V as it's insulation would not be rated for this.

FWL_Engineer said:
Regarding the wiring, the only wiriong that could be reused would be any that is used to feed 230V to the transformers. The Cable from the transformer to the light would not be able to be used to feed 230V as it's insulation would not be rated for this.

cable's cable isnt it? Even the cheap SELV kit i bought a few years ago had flex which looked like normal lamp flex (2-core black sheathed 0.75mm with blue and brown insulators).

I know my uncle installed some SELV lights in his kitchen, each on its own transformer, and the LV cable he ran was in fact 1.5mm 3C flex. He installed the transformers on a strip of wood in the airing cupboard upstairs (to dry his towels!) so they are accesible. The only flaw in his design was he used 3 different brands of transformer, so when the switch was flicked, the lights came on in stages (a couple of them had soft start!)

Sponsored Links
crafty1289 said:
cable's cable isnt it?
No.

Even the cheap SELV kit i bought a few years ago had flex which looked like normal lamp flex (2-core black sheathed 0.75mm with blue and brown insulators).
It might look like it. Realistically it probably was it, but unless it has a rating moulded into the sheath you can't assume it is.

I know my uncle installed some SELV lights in his kitchen, each on its own transformer, and the LV cable he ran was in fact 1.5mm 3C flex.
I assume you mean the ELV cable? ;)

I hope he also allowed for the fact that, e.g. for a single 50W load, 1.5mm² flex is good for about 3.5m....

When a Job is completed the Electrician should complete a small works Certificate and supply a copy to you, the client.

Engineer, I assume you mean a Minor Works Certificate, NO!! More than one circuit, requires an Electrical Installation Certificate complete with Test results and schedules.

Too much mis use of MWC....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back