halogen lights info

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. firstly i have some old low voltage halogen recessed lights without instructions. each pack contains 3 with a transformer. i have 2 packs so would i use both the transformers in series. i know that if you have 2 batterys in seris the output would equal both batterys together.

secondly i visted my sisters new appatment and the kithen/living room has downlights opperated by a 3 way switch 1 swith operates lights under the units, 2nd operates kitchen 3rd operates living room. i didnt look at the consumer unit to see if these were on their own individual circuits, but am curious to how this is done ?
obviously im not an electrician and wont be doin any work just curious, thanks..

Sponsored Links
Point one "low voltage" with AC includes anything under 1000 volts so I assume you mean extra low voltage.
Two although you may be able to use two transformers in parallel you can't use two inverters and most so called transformers are really inverters so I would not try it.
Three although air craft ground lights have transformers in series this is only place I have seen it done and I would not do it with any other transformer.
Four two batteries in series would give the sum of the two voltages so 12 volt batteries on a wagon give 24 volt.
On the entrance to my bed room I have a triple two way switch plate which works the lights either side of bed and main lamp.
One side of bed I have a double change over switch which does the light that side of bed and main light and other side of bed a double two way switch again controls the light that side of bed and main light. The supply for all this comes from ceiling rose which is daisy chained to all the other ceiling roses from a single MCB in consumer unit.
General wiring is like this
LIGHTS.JPG
but where three switches operate the same light it is like this
two-way-plus-inter.jpg
does this explain it enough if not there are a load of diagrams in Wiki and Sticky.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back