Electricity Leak?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was wondering if anybody had any idea about my current conundrum. I've got a new energy monitor and happily switch on and off things around the house and it goes up and down. However when I switch off everything it only goes down to 14 - 23 Watts. Perplexed I decided to take separate fuses out of the fuse panel and found that only taking the plug socket ring main fuse out would let the monitor fall to zero.

I have unplugged everything on the ring and occasionally it will drop to zero but 99% of the time it is either 14 or 23 watts.

Could there be a small short in the wiring that's not enough to trip the fuse but leaks a little power? Is there a mouse in my skirting boards leaving a tv on stand-by? How will I ever know? Should never have got the monitor thing, I could sleep before.

Thanks a million,

John

Sponsored Links
There is likely more running off your ring final than just the appliances you plug into the sockets. For example, security alarm, CH programmer, boiler, shower pump, perhaps a digital clock on a built in oven, etc. Unlikely to be anything worth worrying about, and you can't rely on a 100% accurate reading from one of those energy monitors anyway.

When you say you've unplugged everything are you absolutely sure that there are no neons lit (from extension leads/fused connection units etc) and no hidden sockets in cupboards that you have forgotten about/didn't know about?

I'm assuming that you do not have RCD protection on the circuit in question?

If there really is absolutely no load connected and no neons then call in an electrician and get him to perform an insulation resistance test on the circuit in question. You may have low IR which can allow small currents to flow between conductors.

If you want to delay getting an electrician in, check behind sockets (with the power off of course) and look for loose connections and damaged/scorched insulation.

TV amp / splitter hidden in the loft?
Doorbell transformer?
Shaver socket in bathroom? (The isolating transformer will draw a certain amount of current even when nothing is plugged into the socket)

Edit .... Forgot to mention the heating boiler....

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all your replies.

I had forgotten the totally unused shaver socket which got me closer to zero. But in comparing the energy monitor (small battery powered thing) with the actual electricity meter the readings on the monitor are much higher - not that I'll be calling up EDF to offer them more money. It had been the other way so I asked the monitor people and they sent me a new sensor so now it's this way the monitor could have something to do with it. Turned my obsession now on an innocent 60w circular fluorescent light fitting which seems to use 200w.

Thanks again for your help

John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back