Electrics and loft insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, at hte entrance to my house I have a porch. Above the porch ceiling sits a bedroom bay wondow. So in effect, the floor of the bedroom is the porch roof/ceiling.

The porch ceiling has 1 spotlight in it. I have noticed however that the bedroom is always very cold and am trying to conserve as much heat as possible.

My question is, I'm guessing that putting loft insulation in the gap between the porch ceiling and the bedroom floor is maybe an option. However with the spotlight also occupying this gap, it sounds as if it could be a fire hazard.

Has anyone come accross this sort of situation and if so, how best can this be fixed?

Sponsored Links
:) You can get hire hoods which stop the heat from escaping into the insulation.

I am not a spark so can't really advise you but I am glad you've spotted the problem, unlike most DIYers who just do it anyway and wonder what that strange burning smell is :p

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Fire_and_Smoke/Fire_Cover_Downlight/index.html

TLALC724.JPG

Thanks guys.... do you know if these covers can also be used in a loft in that case? if light fittings etc can be covered with these and then insulation be placed over the top of them?.

Sponsored Links
Brilliant - like most ideas, this one has now expanded into me upgrading the loft insulation as well..... as I understand it, the lighting cabes in the loft should be moved out of the way and then placed above the loft insulation right? but if there is not enough give in the cables, is it safe to leave them under or sandwiched inbetween the layers of insultion?

Brilliant - like most ideas, this one has now expanded into me upgrading the loft insulation as well..... as I understand it, the lighting cabes in the loft should be moved out of the way and then placed above the loft insulation right? but if there is not enough give in the cables, is it safe to leave them under or sandwiched inbetween the layers of insultion?
If the lighting circuit cable is 1mm T&E then the current carrying capacity is around 15Amps (3.4kw) clipped direct. Sandwiching this size cable with insulation will reduce the ccc to approximately half that - which is normally not an issue unless you have a house full of down lamps.
However, the best option is to try and avoid insulation - particularly if you have any larger size cables such a 6mm T&E supplying an electric shower.
Generally the gap between the ccc and the actually load is a lot less than lighting circuits.

If the lighting circuit cable is 1mm T&E then the current carrying capacity is around 15Amps (3.4kw) clipped direct. Sandwiching this size cable with insulation will reduce the ccc to approximately half that - which is normally not an issue unless you have a house full of down lamps.
However, the best option is to try and avoid insulation - particularly if you have any larger size cables such a 6mm T&E supplying an electric shower.
Generally the gap between the ccc and the actually load is a lot less than lighting circuits.

I have 1.5mm t&e cabling for the upstairs lights - which are just standard ceiling pendant/rose type lights. Would it still be a bad idea to leave this type of cable under/inbetween the insulation?

I have 1.5mm t&e cabling for the upstairs lights - which are just standard ceiling pendant/rose type lights. Would it still be a bad idea to leave this type of cable under/inbetween the insulation?

No - under is better than in between though.

Lovelly jubbly - that's my weekend booked in that case !!!! Will try laying the cables above the insulation as I think there should be enough slack, but good to know that it can also be done by leaving it under theinsulation too - cheers all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back