What loft insulation to use for spotlights?

No,it was something I heard or read somwhere,just wondering why not .

Sponsored Links
Why not?

Because it won't keep them cool, it will prevent air from circulating, and the temperature will rise, particularly as you seem to think that there will be insulation covering the pots ("Clay plant pots placed over the lights in loft will keep.. insulation away from them"). Unless the insulation is actually touching the pots, they can't be keeping it away from the lights...

It will also concentrate the hot air rising from the lights through the hole in the bottom of the flowerpot onto one small spot.

It's an utterly bonkers idea.

Sponsored Links
No one really mentioned covering the pots with anything, would agree that would be bonkers ... But in terms of a fireproof cover with some chimney effect to the good -- in an open, well ventilated, non boarded loft space - I wonder if it would be that bad really with a large hole at the small end ? and loft insulation cut away in a circle larger in diameter than the pot which could stand on some inch blocks thereby also allowing cable access ..
I think maxwell10 was referring to this stuff. No hole of any magnitude apparent in this partial cut-away view of safety hood :-
350mm_dl_cover.jpg

See To install FH DC300 or FH DC350 Covers. end of this page :-
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/DataSheets/Fire_Hoods/Downlighter_Covers.htm

Was wondering at time of posting about fire blocking versus heat dissipation, pot of course would not block anything but would indicate the presence of the light fitting and provide a block to inadvertently shifted insulation material.
Just threw in the whole bit about pots, vaguely remembered from here :- //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5793

maxwell10 ....... Don't run .. The bark is worse than the bite .. Usually.

p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back