mv or lv halogen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I would like to convert one existing ceiling pendant light into a few halogen downlighters in my first floor sitting room. The sroom size is 4600mm by 3600mm. I have access to floorboard (tongue and groove). The clearance of the ceiling is about 180mm.

I apprecaite if any of you could advise me if I should choose main voltage or low valtage lights, and possible how many lights would be better.

Many thanks for any help you may offer.
Hugh.

Sponsored Links
Hi Hugh, personally I would go for mains voltage, no need for a transformer with them. Actually, check out the www.screwfix.com forum as there is a discussion there about this. Good luck! Ben

Number of lights is up to you (within reason, no need to make it like Blackpool)....depends on what decorative image your trying to achieve...

I've got low voltage & mains voltage.....I prefer low voltage as the lamps last longer (alot longer), they tend to give the same colour rendering out...also stick them on a dimmer....set the mood ;)

Ben and il78, many thanks for both your kind replies. sorry that I forgot to mention that my bedrooms (on 2nd floor) are above sitting room. Fire risk caused by downlighters has been mentioned a few times in the forum. so I have following questions:
1) What should I do to minimise the potential fire risk when purchasing diy type of downlighters?
2) where can I get double dimmable switch (2 gang) , one for 8 x 50w light (400w in total) and the other for 5 x 50 (250 w in total)? thanks.

Sponsored Links
After installing them..keep any insulation away....you can buy protective covers, but I've never bothered.

Most electrical wholesalers will stock 2gang dimmers suitably rated for your purpose.

Quick Fact: mv stands for medium voltage and is voltage between "1000VAC and 69000VAC" I know what you meant but be careful.
Strictly speaking the correct terms would be ELV (extra low voltage 0 - 50VAC) and low voltage (50VAC - 1000VAC) or "mains voltage"

a good idea for fire covers someone on the screwfix forum had is to use earthenware plant pots as covers, hole in the top for the wires, seems a good idea to me

newdiy said:
2)one for 8 x 50w light (400w in total) and the other for 5 x 50 (250 w in total)? thanks.
Think you might struggle there as a 400w dimmer will only cope with 250w on halogen (believe me I looked), if you find one PLEASE let me know.

K1552MCO.JPG

MK do one......but as you can see its 2G......450W Max (LV)

Southview said:
a good idea for fire covers someone on the screwfix forum had is to use earthenware plant pots as covers, hole in the top for the wires, seems a good idea to me

Seems like a chimney to me. Or maybe a neat way to make sure that all of the hot air coming from the lamp is concentrated onto a small area of floorboards above.

I would go for mains as there is no need for trannys. Or derating dimmers. But bear this in mind. The mains voltage tungsten halogen lamps give less light output than SELV (despite being same wattage) so in theory you need more for same area. I fitted four to an 8 x 6 room (feet that is) which gives a reasonable lumen level.

Thanks for all your informative replies. Considering the capacity of 400w 2 gang 2 way dimmer, I prepare to do following arrangement for my sitting room which have ceiling void of about 200mm between plaster board and hard ward floorboard:

1) 5 x 50w lights for one room section (15 x11 feet) = 250w in total
2) 4 x 50w for smaller room section (8 x 8 feet) = 200w in total

In term of mains voltage, I have found there are two type of bulb: aluminium reflector GU10 and Sylvania Hi-Spot GU10. Not sure what differences are between this two. Which one should serve better?

I think (only think) the high spot has a narrower angle. Incidentally we we eight D/L's in our knocked through lounge, split 5 (15'x11') + 3 (13'x5') on dimmers, all aimed at (light coloured) walls and the lighting is more than adequate.
Only complaint being they were bought from Bodgitt & Quibble and the bulbs that came with the light units have lasted not very long, replacement bulbs going strong though so I suppose supplied bulbs were basically free.

A quick note to say thank you for your helps. I have completed installing my downlighters.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back