Faulty Low Voltage Halogen Light Fitting in Bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would be grateful for some advice about a faulty halogen ceiling spot light in a bathroom. The lights were installed some 2 years ago.

I have a number of low voltage halogen ceiling spot lights in my bathroom. One of them stopped working recently. I replaced the halogen lamp but it still didn’t work. I then pushed the 2 thin cables, which attach to the plug for the halogen bulb, up a bit through the hole in the ceiling and the light worked again. I am sure that this means there is a loose electrical connection somewhere.

Do you think that the entire lighting unit needs to be replaced, i.e. transformer and everything else, or can just the cabling that extends from the transformer to the halogen lamp itself be replaced, i.e. the cabling that hangs down through the hole in the ceiling?

Many thanks for your help with this one.

Mutley56

Sponsored Links
I am sure that this means there is a loose electrical connection somewhere.......................

Do you think that the entire lighting unit needs to be replaced, i.e. transformer and everything else, o

Sounds just like a loose connection. Either go for a crawl in the loft or remove the light fitting and gently see if you can pull down the connections and the transformer.(gently )

All connections are supposed to be accessible ;)

I am assuming by low voltage you mean 12v (this is actually ELV). If yees then i have found that in the situation you describe you may find that the terminal block these two wires are connected to is badly burnt. (the connection block between the transformer and the lamp wires you refer to)This may or may not be due to a faulty transformer it could be poor positioning of the wiring in relation to the lamp.

Sponsored Links
Or possibly due to screws not being tight enough - a 50W ELV lamp draws as much current as a 1-bar electric fire.

Many thanks for your replies ban-all-sheds, Taylortwocities & STI,

I have reasonable access the light fitting and will look at it all today. I am concerned about a fire starting from a fualty electrical unit.

Thanks again.

Mutley56

I've looked at the light. I've found the braided material and plastic sheathing covering one of the thin cables has split open. This has exposed some the metal strands that make up the cable at the point where they enter the plug into which the halogen lamp inserts. Half a dozen of the strands have become loose and no longer insert into the plug. I presume this poor connection has been responsible for the light fitting not working.

I have unscrewed the plug and two cables from the terminal blocked housed in a small plastic box affixed to the body of the lamp. Can the plug and cabling be replaced with a new one?

Thanks for your help.

Mutley56

YES it can. BUT if only a few strands were out of the terminal it should still have worked. Just make sure all strands are in and the screws tight when you fit the new bit.

Thanks wingcoax,

The loose strands were not at the terminal block end of the cable by the transformer, but were at the halogen lamp end of the cable. But, I will follow your advice re: checking tightness etc when I replace the part.

I'll find an electrical supplier and shown them the part and see if they can order it in for me - Aurora fitting.

Cheers.

Mutley56

I see, no wonder you were miffed. It wasn't me. I am grateful for the considered advice I have received on this subject and others that I have posted on this forum.

Thanks again for you input ban-all-sheds.

Cheers.

Mutley56

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back