Low voltage halogen spots off light circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wanted to check this is ok.

I want to install some cupboard low voltage halogen spots. They are touch sensitive, so put your finger on one and on/off they go! :)

I could of course just plug them into a socket and everything would be fine. However, I'm not too keen on having the transformer on all the time and would rather wire it in with the ceiling light fixture. Meaning you can only switch them on if the light is on in the room. I can't find anything saying this illigal.You are allowed to have low voltage halogen spots in your ceiling...so...what is the general feeling among the sparkies?

Sponsored Links
Touching low voltage halogen lamps after they have been on for a while, ouch....... :(
Providing there is capacity in the lighting circuit for the additional load, there is no reason why they cannot be connected to the lighting circuit.

Spark123 said:
Touching low voltage halogen lamps after they have been on for a while, ouch....... :(
Good point. They are of the small triagular typ so you don't actually touch the actual light fitting. But having them hanging off the light switch will help in that case! :)

Spark123 said:
Providing there is capacity in the lighting circuit for the additional load, there is no reason why they cannot be connected to the lighting circuit.
Not a problem, they are 3x20W.

Many thanks Spark. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back