Electrics blowing after having insulation done

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I run a small plumbers merchants business and a client told me to join here, so hello everyone! I just saw someone else posting about insulation so thought I'd say 'hello!' and ask a bit of advice if at the same time.

Basically, British Gas fitted loft insulation a few weeks back. Since then every time we go into the loft (fair few times with it being Christmas and carting around decorations etc) the upstairs lights blow.

Any clues as to why this might be happening? Seems like it could be a v dodgy situation, but they have put us on a waiting list for having it checked out :rolleyes:

cheers!

Sponsored Links
Loose connection being disturbed when you walk on something which presses the insulation and moves the wire.

Is it the RCD which is tripping or MCB?

I do work for an insulation company that when one of their guys knocks a pipe and causes a leak, I have to be on site with 60 minutes.

Ring them back up again and ask them that if it causes a fire will they be liable?

I'm suresomeone will be round the same day.

Andy

MCB which is significantly less dangerous I'm told.

So best bet to get them back to sort out connection or get spark in?

Sponsored Links
I do work for an insulation company that when one of their guys knocks a pipe and causes a leak, I have to be on site with 60 minutes.

Ring them back up again and ask them that if it causes a fire will they be liable?

I'm suresomeone will be round the same day.

Andy

Really Andy? That's helpful info, cheers. Will certainly ring again and try that. Sounds like they've fobbed me off.

MCB which is significantly less dangerous I'm told.

So best bet to get them back to sort out connection or get spark in?

Difficult, if it was a pre-existing issue but never showed up until the insulation was added they may not accept liability. I don't know if they would be expected to check the wiring/junction boxes up there before putting the insulation down.

A spark will have a harder time because of the insulation over all the cables etc!

It could simply be a loose connection in one of your ceiling roses, if you have an idea of what's under the area causing the trip you could check the roses nearest yourself if you know what you are doing. If it's a buried junction box it maybe a little harder but again you should get an idea of it's location from where you are when it trips. If it's a dodgy cable it will be harder.

I called again and was told someone would be round the same day but had no joy. My wife wasn't best pleased with my plans to sort it myself so called in electrician. He said wobbly board had knocked a wire out and it was blowing when pressed down. All sorted out and am £30 worse off but at least not fried.

£30 for sparky to be called out and investigate and sort that problem!!!!!! Wow! Sparkies must be ten a penny up there (or you Yorkshire folk are just too tight fisted) to subsist on starvation rates.

Yeah just from Yellow Pages, didn't realise it was so cheap to be honest, think it must just be the north winning at low cost living again haha. He didn't seem dodgy or anything!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back