Loft : boarding for storage few questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI,

Probably asked a thousand and 1 times but I just wanted to have someone check over what I plan to do before I begin.

My house was built around 2011 and I am looking to floor a small part of the loft just for some general storage (Christmas tree and decoration and possibly a few other bits and bobs like empty suitcases.)

I have tried to make a drawing to help with my explanation but essentially I am considering flooring the section the are points to in my loft as it is right next to the loft hatch which I have now put a loft ladder into and head height should be ok.

My main concern are my joists they are 1.5in (3.81cm) by 3.5in (8.89cm) now my idea I have so far for doing this are:
  1. Counter beam with similar dimension beams to then keep my insulation depth. The issue might be:
    1. Beam dimension are they to thin for the length/span I am trying to floor?
    2. There are stiffeners running across the beams which mean I can't bet the new beams to sit flat what are my options.
  2. Loft stilts I am pretty sure I can get these flat on the beams but
    1. could you get variable height ones if I need to sit on the stiffener as my assumption is it bad to remove it?
    2. are they suitable for my beams?
  3. Loft zone is my other option and I believe I can get them flat on the beam but will it add anything like extra strength as obviously this is the most expensive method?
  4. Option 4 is don't do the area highlighted but the middle section which only has the small inconvenience that a beam runs mid height but not really a issue.

y4mom9sr6lDnu0RLRTU5mzAmoiBVHITpbyfkEoO3Sf6ZlTxz1uX-6OkeizOfU6G1Fk3lWvFmnTVnhJ-nwbeDviP7mqNcopVR7kEuKt7kfdJpfssG5rZRxGDL46d4gN2Ef4L0_xnDIYJRnBzJQx0eIO9N9s9Qyw_xCB6MOjt6TxJjTDMPfldmUgiQsbbt-HQRNgb

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back