What type of wood, for flooring in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Im new to this forum, so hello first of all!

I am after some advice on boarding my loft floor. I plan to plasterboard my loft, and board the floor of my loft in order to create a home office. The space is small due to the beams (pic attached) but it should be faesable.

Can someone please advise what wood would be th best type, for me to use as this will be supporting my weight and my machines/desk etc.

Also, on the pic, there are a couple of beams that do not appear to be supporting any weight, with the same beam right behind this (labelled).

Can anyone advise if these beams are required?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo and welcome ianwillo :D :D :D

this is a truss roof you cannot remove any timber or add more than a few kg well spread for light storage
anything else requires major structural alterations and great cost

heeelllooo and welcome ianwillo :D :D :D

this is a truss roof you cannot remove any timber or add more than a few kg well spread for light storage
anything else requires major structural alterations and great cost

Thanks for the reply!!

Can I not make alterations even on the floor? I was only going to box this in, and sit up there, only using plasterboard etc to make it look better.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I can't see your pics but if it is a truss roof then all timbers up there will be structural so dont mess with them.

Whatever you wish to do make it lightweight (plasterboard is heavy), perhaps some sheets of plastic protection board stapled to the trusses will make you feel more at home.. anyways whatever you do may be considered dangerous to spend too long working in as you will have inadequate means of escape in the case of a fire and will be cold in winter and boiling in summer..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back