Electric's keeping tripping out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a electrician install electric shower and heated bathroom mirror since then our rcd keeps tripping :mad: allthough the shower doesn't go through rcd ??? We had him back and he thought there was fault with rcd a MK ln 5860 which you can't get anymore so he replaced that with a protues rcd , but problem is still there it goes off in early hours he has tested with nuetrals dissconnected and there is no fault ?? sometimes its goes week then it can be every day :eek: he says nothing he can do ??? where can i start i have made list of everything thats on standby when it goes off and have started isolating them one at time it nevertrips individual circuit just rcd and it will reset straight away ?????? any help would be great before i go mad

Will

Sponsored Links
Not RCD protected.
A Electrician?
He cannot fix it?

Get any certificates?

You have had an electrician that has fitted an electric shower and heated bathroom mirror. They have not installed RCD protections on these items :eek:
He is not a competent person then! Has the work been notified?
Where did you get this idiot from?
What circuits are protected by the RCD,?
What items of electrical equipment are on these circuits?
Were these problems apparent prior to cowboy turning up?

Sponsored Links
Your electrician should have provided RCD protection for the shower.

With regard to using a Proteus RCD within an MK consumer unit, has the electrician confirmed that the manufacturer will guarantee their equipment when using a product made by a different manufacturer?

Has the electrician carried out an insulation resistance test on the RCD protected circuits? This should identify any problems on the wiring.

You may have an appliance with an intermittent fault. In my experience things that will trip an RCD are, washing machines, kettles, tumble driers, fridges freezers, cookers, ovens.

You may well want to consider employing another electrician to carry out the fault diagnosis as from what you have described your current electrician seems to be lacking competence.

You can still readily get replacement MK RCDs, and they are still a current line here is one for example. I suspect the part number you quote is incorrect as that is for a 300mA device, but even so it sounds like it is not a faulty RCD anyway.

You need to find your self an actual electrician, and not this numpty who thought he could have a go :rolleyes:

As for there being nothing he can do, well that's just laughable, and quite honestly disgusting.

I have never yet had an RCD fault which I havn't been able to track down and repair.

Sometimes it can take a while and involves some quite extensive testing and wire tracing, but there is always a way.

You can still readily get replacement MK RCDs, and they are still a current line here is one for example. I suspect the part number you quote is incorrect as that is for a 300mA device, but even so it sounds like it is not a faulty RCD anyway.

You need to find your self an actual electrician, and not this numpty who thought he could have a go :rolleyes:

As for there being nothing he can do, well that's just laughable, and quite honestly disgusting.

I have never yet had an RCD fault which I havn't been able to track down and repair.

Sometimes it can take a while and involves some quite extensive testing and wire tracing, but there is always a way.

as above

I got home from work last Friday night and found that the RCD wouldnt reset whilst I had my downstairs ring MCB on.. so I unplug each item and retry to see if it is an appliance but no joy..so I get the test kit out and find 0.1MOhm between L-E so I disconnect all 6 sockets and 4 spurs and test between each ends but no low readings !!! so I connector block the ring and test again and get >299Mohm GREAT ! so I put each socket/spur on 1 at a time to see if I can find the faulty socket/spur...no more RCD trips...in hindsight Id have retested after unscrewing each spur/socket as maybe a pinch between L-E that was released on unscrewing.. so RCD faults can be sorted they just need a bit of time and for the sparky to give a ****..

I got home from work last Friday night and found that the RCD wouldnt reset whilst I had my downstairs ring MCB on.. so I unplug each item and retry to see if it is an appliance but no joy..so I get the test kit out and find 0.1MOhm between L-E so I disconnect all 6 sockets and 4 spurs and test between each ends but no low readings !!! so I connector block the ring and test again and get >299Mohm GREAT ! so I put each socket/spur on 1 at a time to see if I can find the faulty socket/spur...no more RCD trips...in hindsight Id have retested after unscrewing each spur/socket as maybe a pinch between L-E that was released on unscrewing.. so RCD faults can be sorted they just need a bit of time and for the sparky to give a s**t..

In your case I would used "half split method". Split the ring at the CU and half way round the ring final circuit hence reducing the time to identify the fault.

There has been many times whilst locating a fault like this it has simply disappeared. I put this down to a cable being caught within a socket, switch fuse etc.

Common causes are nails in walls through cables, accessory fronts faulty or damp etc.

I got home from work last Friday night and found that the RCD wouldnt reset whilst I had my downstairs ring MCB on.. so I unplug each item and retry to see if it is an appliance but no joy..so I get the test kit out and find 0.1MOhm between L-E so I disconnect all 6 sockets and 4 spurs and test between each ends but no low readings !!! so I connector block the ring and test again and get >299Mohm GREAT ! so I put each socket/spur on 1 at a time to see if I can find the faulty socket/spur...no more RCD trips...in hindsight Id have retested after unscrewing each spur/socket as maybe a pinch between L-E that was released on unscrewing.. so RCD faults can be sorted they just need a bit of time and for the sparky to give a s**t..

In your case I would used "half split method". Split the ring at the CU and half way round the ring final circuit hence reducing the time to identify the fault.

There has been many times whilst locating a fault like this it has simply disappeared. I put this down to a cable being caught within a socket, switch fuse etc.

Common causes are nails in walls through cables, accessory fronts faulty or damp etc.

yes its something I thought about but given the ring was 6 sockets and 4 spurs I just carried on with taking the fronts off , id have resolved it a lot quicker had I checked the RCD after taking each socket front off...

Check the date ;)

I wonder if the OP ever got this resolved?

I got called to a job with an intermittent RCD fault a while back which another electrician had had a go at and given up. It took a while, but I cured it.

Well happy customer now passing me some decent work and recommending me to her friends etc. :)

Not now, anyway.

There are henly blocks after the meter on the other side of the wall and spare tails pushed into the floor, but no marks on the DNO board where another meter may have been.

There are spare tails stuffed into the floor as if it used to be connected to the one supply.

There is only room for the single mcb in the cover.
I can't think it would only have had one NSH.

I haven't had time to examine it yet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back