electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a light in my porch and i am installing a light outside my front door my porch light has a switch and i am trying to connect the new light to that switch. i have changed the switch two a double one but dont know where all the wires go. i have the outside light coming on but the porch bulb is only slightly glowing . help.

Sponsored Links
How are you wiring the outside light? Where is your neutral coming from?

you will probably have to take the supply from the ceiling rose, not the switch. Can you get at it easily?

i have put a piece of new wire from the new light outside and need to connect it to the existing porch switch . but this is only a single switch so i brought a double one but dont know where to put the wires. i have 2 com holes 2 L1 holes and 2 L2 holes. my wires in the existing switch are red, black, and earth. my wires in the new wire are brown blue and earth.

Sponsored Links
You will need one two core and earth cable from your new light to the switch and another two core and earth cable from your new light to lighting supply - this may be in the ceiling rose of the hall light.

If you only have one red(com) and one black(L1) wire at your existing porch switch you will not be able to power your new light by connecting your new light cable to that switch.This is because you have no Neutral at that switch....... You will have to get a neutral to the switch or to your new light fitting which ever is easier..... A common problem with people putting new light fittings in they do not understand the wiring .......employ a sparky like me :LOL: we are cheap :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back