Electricty 'Suppliers Switch' (pictures added)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was talking to an electrician the other day who told me that new properties have a 'master' switch between the electricity meter (which is the responsibilty of the electricty provider) and the fuse board/consumer unit (which is our responsibilty). He said that if our board hasn't got one of these switches (our house was built in 1890 and i'm not aware of any recent alterations to the wiring system - within the last 10years at least) as without it no-one can do any work to the consumer unit without the elec board cutting the power to the house. He also said that if we contact our regional electricity supplier they should install this switch and it should be free of charge.

Does anyone know if this is all correct. And also, we get our eletricity from a company called Ebico but i assume they aren't responsible for this work - does anyone know who i should contact or how i find out who to contact. Would it be United Utilities? - they recent came to protect the outdoor power lines whilst we had some scaffolding up close to the wires?

Sponsored Links
We're in the process of converting the loft so will need a new circuit for the lights up there and a new circuit for the new sockets.

Said it would be advantagous to have the switch in any case?

Opinions differ

some people say it adds another part that might go wrong

However, if you have more than one CU, it gives you an important "Single Point of Isolation" as it is a master switch that turns everything off in the entire house, which may be required in an emergency

Also, as you say, it means the CU can be isolated safely for any future work that needs to be done on it.

Some electricity suppliers seem to charge, and some don't.

Post some pics of your CU, Meter, Service head, and the various cables between and around them (we like pictures)

If you have to pay for the visit, try to get your Suppliers Earth point upgraded (if it needs it) at the same time, and replace any old or undersized tails (especially your ones into the meter). this can most easily be done by putting the new main switch in place, with new 25mm tails that will reach the meter, ready for the supplier to connect. You old CU tails can then go into the Load side of the switch (your electrician will have to do that as it is not the supplier's responsibility). MEM make a switch enclosure where the Load side terminals have their own cover so that the Load tails can be fitted without having to expose the supply side. IMO this is a very good feature. The switch also has sliding plastic covers that go over the terminal screws to prevent accidental contact. There may be others that also have this feature, I don't know.

View media item 820

Sponsored Links
Cheers John, useful and informative post.

Will try and get some pics - our board and meter are in a stupid place - the very top and back of a cupboard in the lounge and bearing in mind our ceilings are 2.8m high this means a chair/ladder, partial emptying of the cupboard and moving the tv which sits in front of the cupboard. I love it when the guy comes to read the meter!!!

Any ideas how i find out who our 'regional supplier' is? Am i right in saying that is isn't necessarily the company who sends us the bill?

If you have a look at your Electricity Bill, it will say something like

"Who supplies your Electricity?
Honest John is your Electricity supplier.
The company that carries Electricity to your home is Shady Pete - should you need to contact them, please call 0845 nnn nnnn "

However you are not obliged to work it out yourself. There are various different companies involved in cables, distribution, meters and billing - as your contract is with the company that sends the bill, you can write a short letter* to them and they are responsible for knowing who to pass it to.

*after some years in the Utilities trades, I strongly recommend a letter rather than phoning the (no) Help Desk in Bangladesh. A letter will be recorded and tracked, and passed along until it reaches the person who knows what to do. A phone call will often reach someone who doesn't know what to do and will fob you off.

Thanks once again John - have already tried an e-mail to our billing company with no response. I'll try the letter route!!

Round here (S&S) they generally install a
Wylex REC2 100amp Isolator Switch

Good solid cover & supported outlets for the tails.

Sometimes they seem to find some 10-year old parts in the back of the van and fit those :cry:

Andrew you need to phone your SUPPLIER which in your case you said is Ebico (new one by me but theres so many now). :confused:

This is because they may not get your DNO to do the work.

Each supplier uses different companies for different work, with some suppliers even having their own employees in different areas now.

ie around here if I wanted an isolator fitted and I was with EON, SCOTTISH POWER, SOUTHERN ELEC etc etc I'd have a company called Dataserve come and fit one.
But if I was with British gas or a few others I'd have UU, Siemens or morrison utilities come to do it.

You pay your supplier to work out who to send for certain jobs.

Just phone thier customer services up and ask for an isolator to be fitted.
This is a standard job and there shouldn't be any confusion which would need you to send a letter.

Be warned tho I now think most if not all suppliers charge for an isolator.

Thanks for the repliese guys - i have now found my Network Operator and contacted them and in light of Roo's advice i'll also contact Ebico - see what they say.

For info - Ebico have a very simple tariff which makes it very easy to see what you're paying for each month/quarter. They also have a very reasonable tariff and so it has saved us some money. They are a not-for-profit company and as such can keep their prices low but this also means they don't have an advertising budget which is maybe why you haven't heard of them. You wont see them sponsoring the FA cup or having talking flames on TV at half time of Coronation Street! We were previously on dual fuel with BG and got sick of them putting up our monthly payments wihtout notice and refusing to lower them even when our account was well in credit. Much happier with Ebico :) For now!!

I'm still trying to sort this out but have possibly omitted the need for the 'suppliers switch'. If i'm having a new CU installed for the new light and socket circuits in the loft, is it worthwhile getting rid of the old fuse boxes (no idea how old they are but i'm guessing 30yrs min) and having the existing circuits wired into the new CU?? Then presumably the 100A isolator on the CU would cut the supply to everything in the house anyway and, unless i need a new CU at some point in the future, i'd have no problem isolating the lot?

Is it advisable to lose the old fuse boxes while i'm having a new CU put in and am i correct in my assumption on the Isolating switch in the CU.

I think you are saying that you are having a small consumer installed for a couple of new circuits.

If this is right then I would suggest that it would make sense to replace the whole fuse board with a consumer unit at the same time and incorporate these new circuits onto it rather than just renewing part of the installation and then later having to renew the other part. Your new circuits would most likely have to be on a 30mA RCD anyway.

Not all electricians will insist on you having an isolator between the meter and board. Most will just pull the service fuse and put it back in when they have finished. Are you able to post a couple of pics oy your existing installation?

Don't forget to check your electrician is registered

Cheers Bongos,

I will try and take some photos and post them asap. As is common the electric trickery in our house is at the top and back of a cupboard so i'l have to empty out my stores of wine and carling!!

Will try and post them tomorrow - if i remember!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back