Electricty 'Suppliers Switch' (pictures added)

Looking at the pic it probably makes sense to have a new consumer fitted by a spark to replace all of the old rewireable fuse boards and to take account of the new circuits. You could always ask for a quote for each job and see what the difference in price is.

What does each separate fuse board control? It's hard to make it out from the picture but there doesn't seem to be many separate circuits at present.

Sponsored Links
The fuse box in the top left of the first picture appears to be fed in and supplying something with rubber cables.

If this is the case, this will probably need the wiring replacing too. (That is if it still does anything)

The fuse box to the top left is for the lights in the whole of the (existing) house (ten light fittings in total). The other black fuse box switches all the existing sockets (11 double and 1 single socket total). The white fuse box switches the electric oven (previously the shower).

If the cables on the lighting fuse box are rubber should we be replacing these even if we aren't altering the circuit? i'm not sure to what extent these cables are installed as i've changed several light fittings and switches around the house over the years and only ever come across grey t&e everywhere else other than in this cupboard. Certainly all the cables which ran loose in the old loft serving the first floor lights were grey twin+earth.

Just out of interest can you tell me what the black box to the bottom right is - the wires go to this before the elec meter? And what are the two small black boxes directly below the meter?

Just out of interest can you tell me what the black box to the bottom right is - the wires go to this before the elec meter?

that is the main fuse for the house with the main neutral and main earth terminal attached to it.
The cables into the bottom, are the house supply coming in.
And what are the two small black boxes directly below the meter?

They are like Henley blocks one live and one neutral, used as there are too many wires to connect in the meter, if you had one CU, these are not necessary, as it would connect direct into the meter.

Sponsored Links
If the cables on the lighting fuse box are rubber should we be replacing these even if we aren't altering the circuit?

I got a phone call from a freind of mine to say his landing light is flickering on and off even though he had switched it off,So i popped round to have a look when i unscrewed the light switch all there was two bare wires and a pile of rubber in the bottm of the back box.
I replaced that section of cable as a tempory measure and advised him to get the house rewired which he did.
If that had happened with a live feed then it's either a blown fuse or fire.
So the answer to that question is a (no brainer)

andy

So the answer to that question is a (no brainer)

andy

I wouldn't say its a 'no-brainer' - to someone such as myself who doesn't know a lot about electrics and as the wire has been there for at least 20 years with no problems it's not obvious that it should be replaced. Thats why i asked the question!

Does the lighting circuit have a cpc(earth cable) The cable should be a 1mm or 1.5mm twin and earth. Which means there should be three cables within one sheath. Live, neutral and a bare earth wire.
If the wiring is of a rubber construction or a pvc construction installed prior to 1968 then the likelihood is that the lighting circuit had no earthing.
Easy to tell, just simply remove a switch or light cover and see if there is a earth provided. Sould have a green and yellow protection sheath de-noting the wire.

This creates a problem on domestic homes as a lot of use tends to have outside lights, lke a 150w or 500w halogen sensor light, or down lights or light fittings with exposed metal parts. Metal switches and the like. If this is the case then the installation would be UNSAFE! and dangerous and in need of an urgent upgrade. All lights fittings on this type of wire should be CLASS 2 rated (Double isolated). I know that the NICEIC will not allow their contractor to energize any circuit with not earthing provided.

A single isolator at the main point is a good idea. We installed them free of charge on all of the council owned properties in STOKE as and when they upgrade their properties.

Kind regards Phil

Phil, As i said above, i have replaced the switches on our lights in the living room and in the hall and over the past six/seven years i've replaced every light fitting in the house. All these switches and fittings have grey PVC twin & earth wiring. The wires that lead from the fuse box are certainly not grey T&E but where they change i'm not sure and i do not know if they are PVC or rubber or if there is an earth with them.

I would assume that the wires from the fuse box lead to a junction box somewhere in the ceiling/floor void and from there all the wiring is grey T&E but this is only an assumption. As i say, all the light fittings and switches are connected to the earth but where (or if) this circuit is actually earthed i do not know?

I'm with you now only quicklt scanned throu before.

Yep there will be JB'S in the ceiling above the mains or above each lighing sw drop and fitting to give the impression of a rewire. i wold guess that that the lighing is not earthed. Very odd way and not normal practice to connect up new wiring to old wires to the mains. It always done the other way round. The house has old wiring which has been extended with new to reach the new mains position.

Very odd way and not normal practice

That just about sums up everything in our house! Built by someone called Jack I think!

Its not the worst i've seen but some of the things i've found in our house have just simply amazed me! I will have to do some investigative work to see if i can shed more light (no pun intended) on the situation!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back