Electro osmotic DPC testing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

Looking for someone clever to tall me how to test the continuity of my Lectros DPC.

Before I go in to it, I know there's a lot of views about whether this type of system works, and if I'm honest I don't know which side I'm on....but given I have one fitted, I figure I may as well check it is fitted properly.

I have bought a property which has a Lectros electro-osmatic DCP installed. I've no idea who installed it but it looks pretty well installed in most areas. However there is an area of our house that's just had to have the plaster hacked off and where there's a door (one fitted in the past 5-10 years - not sure if pre or post DPC) and it looks to me like a builder in the past has just cut through the wire and removed a section when knocking through the wall, so one side of the door will be connected to the power supply, and the other won't.

Usually, I'd just buy some more titanium wire and connect the two ends so that the full length is connected to the power supply BUT it's a fairly big house so has two power supplies for it. There's therefore a chance that the anode wire ends from each power supply just coincidentally finish either side of the door! I don't therefore want to connect the two unless I'm sure they're part of the same run, and not separate runs.

Do you have any idea how I could use a multimeter or otherwise to check continuity so I can find out of they're two separate functioning runs, or just one run with a break?

This type of DPC doesn't work on a continuous loop circuit, and instead the anode is connected to the wall, and the cathode is connected to the ground. I have no idea where the cathode earth rods are, and other than the relatively small section of plaster removed, I can't trace the anode cables' paths.

My electrical knowledge is close to naff-all so any help very gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
A multi-meter and a long single core cable

Establish a Ground reference point, the cathode if you can find it, other wise a metal rod stuck into wet ground.

Use the long cable to connect one probe of the multi-meter to the Ground reference so that you can move around the house with the meter.

Probe the anode wires with the other probe of the meter with one supply energised. Some anodes will show a voltage, some won't. All those anode wires that show the same voltage will be connected to the energised supply.

You may find voltages between anode wires and Ground reference with both supplies turned OFF. These voltages should be small compared to the voltage when the supply is energised.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back