Eletrical Equipment - drawing too much power - how to test ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello...

Could somebody please tell me the best way to test eletrical equipment at home - (Washing machine, dishwasher, TV etc...) Basically our eletrical bill has gone sky high over the last year - I just wondered if something some where is drawing too much power ?

How can I test ?

Thanks very much...

Ian

Sponsored Links
I doubt if anything is drawing too much power, your fuses would simply blow. Its more likely that your energy provider has put the cost up and not told you. However if you really interested get hold of a clamp meter place it round the phase on you ring main (carfull) and monitor how much current each device is drawing as you turn them on. Edit maybe safer to place the clamp meter on the phase of you meter tails.
My energy bills are stupid as well at the moment but thats down to the new arrival. The washing machine and tumble dryer are never off and I mean Never :(

Most current is used by appliances with heating elements in them (tumble driers, immersion heaters, washing machines) and these can use about 30p worth in an hour.

Make sure the immersion heater is not jammed on or hot tap runnning or leaking under the floor; no electric heater left on anywhere (e.g. to protect against frost in the shed).

Check that you have no teenager who feels the cold and has bought a fan heater. Check that no-one has a cannabis plantation in your loft or outbuilding.

Lighting is not expensive unless you have outside floodlights that can cost 10p upwards per hour each..

Look up your old electricity bils to see what the usage (=meter readings) are.

if you were billed for estimated readings this will throw your billls out.

And prices went up a lot last year.

You must compare meter readings not £££ charged.

Sponsored Links
I always advise customers to look how fast the disk is spinning (or light pulsing) on the meter, then start turning things off 1 at a time.

Obviously the things using a lot of power will slow the disk (or pulse light) significantly.

Just something you could try before buying clamp meters etc.

My experience is ESTIMATED BILLS :rolleyes: cause most of the trouble as John said.

RobFurn said:
Its more likely that your energy provider has put the cost up and not told you.

I'm sure they have to tell you before they put the price up don't they?
I usually get a letter as I did last month to inform me of a price cut.

And think most providers have just cut their prices haven't they?

plugwash said:
you don't need an account to order from CPC.
Getting a bit OT but have just phoned them : --
You don't need an account if you visit their Trade Counter at Preston, but for phone/Internet purchases you need an a/c. However, this can be set up quite quickly & easily.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back