Mains Power Problem HELP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok I’m looking for advice on what to do about a mains power problem. We have moved in to a 1900’s Semi-detached house. It’s on a loop fed supply. Our house is the master and the neighbour’s house is the slave. Both houses are suffering from power spikes, sags and brownouts that cause all electrical equipment to flicker, TV’s to turn off and light bulbs blow.

We got the power transit company out. Scottish Power and they said it was our wiring at fault so we had a full rewire and new MCU fitted. But the problem continued. They then said it was the old Bakelite and pitch cut-out at fault which they replaced for a modem 100A fused cut-out and the problem still continues!

It’s worth mentioning that when the Scottish Power engineer came out I told him that we were on a loop which fed the house next-door. He insisted next-door was the master and he was the engineer and knew better than me. When the cut-out was replaced it killed next doors power and damaged their electronics! (Insert quote: “I told you so!” here) So I don’t have a lot of confidence in how competent Scottish Power’s engineers are.

We have already tried pulling everything off the MCU and fitting a single lamp to see if it flickers and it did. We have tested it night and day 7 days of the week and it’s constant throughout. We have tested it while the neighbours were out and home and it made no difference.

I’ve got British Gas coming to replace the old meter at the end of the month for a smart meter but I very much doubt that the meter is the problem as both houses are suffering the same problems. So far we have lost around 30 halogen bulbs, 10 incandescent bulbs, 1 led bulb, 2 dimmer switches, 1 6A breaker, 1 RCD, damage to a fan and damage to a DAB radio though these problems.

So what I need to know is;
  • Who is liable for fixing this issue?
    Who is liable for damages?
    What are the regulations around the quality of the supply?
    Is there anything I can get fitted to the home wiring like a voltage stabiliser or surge protection device till Scottish Power get their act together?

PS We live in North Wales

Sponsored Links
Not had it measured yet. Was hoping Scottish Power would do that but they seem more inclined to blame it on anything but their network. I’m half expecting them to say it’s due to solar flares next week!

It doesn't dip with heavy loads. Like I said it does it with everything removed from the board. I do sometimes see the lights flicker when using a table saw but I can't replicate it all the time so I don't think that is the cause.

Any news yet? I'm intrigued to learn what's causing this.

Sponsored Links
We clearly can only guess. I would guess some one on the same supply is using something like a welding set which is the route cause. Could be anything including a pumping station cutting in and I had a time when we had similar problems which were tripping out my RCD's but it just suddenly stopped. I would assume what ever was causing the problem failed and was replaced.

However only Scottish Power can cure the problem your only option is to complain to them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back