help please? melted electricity meter tails

There is absolutely nothing to disagree, there, because that is a fact, remove your blinkers and check the DNO website, they all fall under the umbrella of National Grid. since each of their subsideries operate in different regions and are known with different names, hence they grouped them as DNO for Electricity distribution whereas national Grid deals with gas meters and other gas infrastructure. oh as well as the high Voltage Pylons. Overall it makes little difference as to who is responsible for the meter, or its tails, it is definitely not the owner, it will either be a shoddy electrician, or DNO or before DNO came into being it would be National Grid before the privatisation.

You know what you go ahead and live in your fantasy La La land!

Sponsored Links
No, I think we are all in a la la land, have a look at this youtube video and you will see how nobody knows who is responsible and it will probably be the most entertaining video you would have ever seen, though it applies to Gas, but still worth watching, I have so far seen only part 1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHuQZevKeXU

Right, it gets even bettter anb better, I couldn't see part 3 but the last part 4 should clarify everything that why I think also that we are all living in la la land! Nobody knows! confusion, you only know what you have been told, and that is wrong!

part 4 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WitPUMCKuU

thanks to Maggy! since the privatisation, its all confusion, and why not take benefit of it and use free gas legally, buy your own meter and have one of the top RGI's on here to fit it! ;) Some good has come out of this meter tail question! :LOL:

Get in there before they change the law regarding owning your own gas meters. Doitnow!

Wow this is really wierd cos my mate kev fits electricity meters for British gas. They must also be owned by national grid then too?

I'm sure they were talking on the radio today about British has being owned by centrica?

And also westie doesn't know who he's worked for for 40 years?

It's almost as if you're wrong or something.

Wow this is really wierd cos my mate kev fits electricity meters for British gas. They must also be owned by national grid then too?

I'm sure they were talking on the radio today about British has being owned by centrica?

And also westie doesn't know who he's worked for for 40 years?

It's almost as if you're wrong or something.

I have been careful from the onset when I first answered OP's question, since no one else had answered his question for nearly 3 hours, I thought I would answer it to the best of my ability, and hence I chose the word "I believe" which means that i could be wrong, since I deal with lots of problems with energy companies, from time to time, I rent and look after other people's houses, and know often there isn't a clear cut answer, overall, it does not matter, like the video said Transco no longer exists, but you don't get headlines in the newspapers that Transco is none other than National Grid! but I guess people actually working in the industry would know the inside information that we the public rarely get to know, hence I believed that National grid are responsible for electric meters, well they once were, under the name LEB, who not only billed but also installed meters, they were owned by NG i believe.

However, I am not here to say I am right, but to say I am utterly wrong is incorrect, as there had been real confusion throughout since the privatisation of energy, In one instance a National Grid wrote to me that they needed to replace a gas meter at a certain premises i looked after, and their fitter came and put a new meter and apologised that as he was not carrying a longer length of pipe so the new meter had to be installed at a lower height than the previous one, and left it dangling face height in a passage, which i had to ask them to move it up as people kept bumping into it.

Any way, the important points OP asked was the dangers of lose connections in the meter tails. Who owns the meter or who is responsible for lose connections and failure of his electrical appliances is his electricity supplier, who ever he is, they are the first port of call, and ultimately they are held responsible, not the electricity generator board, or the National Grid, who transport electricity and if they refuse owning responsibility, ultimately it falls on their parent company who may or may not be NG.

any ways I am now off to ebay to bid for a gas metyer before they get sold out! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I first answered OP's question, since no one else had answered his question for nearly 3 hours,
Better the OP gets an accurate answer after a reasonable wait of maybe 24 hours than to get an inaccurate and mis-leading answer in 4 hours.

as there had been real confusion throughout since the privatisation of energy,
and you are it seems confused by it

any ways I am now off to ebay to bid for a gas metyer before they get sold out! :LOL:
A sensible comment at last. :mrgreen:

If you agree with mike, then you're also wrong as has been clearly explained why in this thread.

Bakelite? Which decade does your diy book come from?

There is absolutely nothing to disagree, there, because that is a fact, remove your blinkers and check the DNO website, they all fall under the umbrella of National Grid. since each of their subsideries operate in different regions and are known with different names, hence they grouped them as DNO for Electricity distribution whereas national Grid deals with gas meters and other gas infrastructure. oh as well as the high Voltage Pylons. Overall it makes little difference as to who is responsible for the meter, or its tails, it is definitely not the owner, it will either be a shoddy electrician, or DNO or before DNO came into being it would be National Grid before the privatisation.

And as for baklite, it is one of the best materials one can use on electrics besides ceramics as insulator for both heat and as a dilectric.

Did you mean to add something to this topic, or are you just randomly quoting completely incorrect posts?

Did you mean to add something to this topic, or are you just randomly quoting completely incorrect posts?

RF, you don't need to start witch hunting, I admited that just on one item on my post was wrong , again I said it with caution and chose a safe word and clearly stated that "I believe it is National Grid" which means if you know your English language, that i may or may not ne correct.

you have every right to point out other's mistakes, or misconceptions, without using defaming remarks or unnecesarily pointing out a tiny mistake that does not put anyone's life in jeapordy, so what difference would it have made if some guy calls National Grid and claims they were responsible for his meter tails, they would simply give him a phone number and ask him to call his area network DNO, no big deal there, but the rest of my post was about the consequences of a lose termination, and I said what i knew best through life long experience.

Yes it was. You've been told why it's wrong by several people and even the pages you linked to say you're wrong too.

No need to get all abusive either.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back