Elevated Brick Verandah

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Can anyone help? I'm attempting my first DIY bricklaying project and need a little advice.

I'm planning on building a brick verandah with steps and wooden decking on top. Walls measure 8ft x 8ft x 9ft x 5ft. With a height of 6ft.

My question is, can this be done with single thickness of bricks and if so, what reinforcement is required if any?

Many thanks in advance.

Ste

Sponsored Links
With an elevated deck at 6ft, I advise you check you can do that without planning permission; local planning get very fussy about overlooking & if you rneighbours complain, you might have to pull the whole lot down.

is this going to be L shaped or two parallel walls?

L shape would be ok but two walls could well pancake over unless you have returns on them.
the walls should stand depending on the wind but if you have people moving on top of it. it will wobble.

try it with a cardboard box and you will see.
put returns on and stay safe

:)

Sponsored Links
ambitious first project. double thickness walls a must.

why not add a couple of extra feet and have a room below??

ambitious first project. double thickness walls a must.

why not add a couple of extra feet and have a room below??

if its secured on top and has returns on the walls then it becomes just like any other room.

maybe its just how i see it.
matey cant just have two straight walls even if its 215 walls.

wheres woody? he can write it up all nicely for the op :)
that amount of brickwork done as a first project will look awful. (needs to be said, sorry)

steclements68";p="834040 said:
Hello,

Can anyone help? I'm attempting my first DIY bricklaying project and need a little advice.

I'm planning on building a brick verandah with steps and wooden decking on top. Walls measure 8ft x 8ft x 9ft x 5ft. With a height of 6ft.

My question is, can this be done with single thickness of bricks and if so, what reinforcement is required if any?

Many thanks in advance. ok best bet is make that two skins with a 3 newton block inside tied across with wall ties probaly cost you peanuts to do :D

Hello and thank you all for your advice.

I have done a quick sketch if this helps? Like I say, I'm a complete novice but I have a lot of patience and I'm determined to make this work. The idea of another room is something I hadn't even considered... so where do I start.

Many thanks!!!

Ste

[/img]

is this going to be L shaped or two parallel walls?

L shape would be ok but two walls could well pancake over unless you have returns on them.
the walls should stand depending on the wind but if you have people moving on top of it. it will wobble.

try it with a cardboard box and you will see.
put returns on and stay safe

:)
lol at card board box, what a cowboy :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back