Extending Garage/building advice sought

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, am part-retired now and want to spend more time tinkering with my old motorbikes in the garage - however am fed up with my awful garage of 25 years now (!) - it's brick built, about 8ft wide and 16ft long with a sloping corrugated asbestos replacement roof that slopes from one end at 8ft high to about 6ft the other end - cold, leaks, rough floor etc etc.
Whilst I still have it in me (!) I want to extend the garage to about 26ft long, 14ft wide and put an apex roof along the length.
I will keep the left hand long wall (slicing off the sloping bricks and then build up to a constant 8ft height), and the end wall (raising this), and extending out the front for the extra 10ft. I will build a completely new full length wall for the right hand side (removing the old) - hope all that makes sense !
-I'm guessing that footings for the new long wall should be about 1ft wide and 18" deep ?
-I want to use blocks rather than bricks (100 or 140/150mm thick ?), I'm reasonably fit but I guess the thicker blocks might be very heavy to be laying up higher.
-do I need to go double-row on the blocks for sturdiness ?
-if I use high density concrete blocks are these weatherproof or need sealing ?
-new piers every 9ft ?
-timber truss roof structure (don't think I need RSJs) ?
-because of low angle of roof I won't use tiles but plastic coated metal panels ?
-because I will spend a lot more time out there is there any simple way of insulating it better ? (choice of blocks/insulations etc ?).
That's a lot of questions for starters but any hints would be much appreciated. I may have the loan of a digger in a couple of weeks which would certainly help with the footings !
Cheers, Joe

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back