ELI reading without an earth!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Been to look at wiring a house extension today. It didn't take long to realise that the original part of the house has metal light fittings but no cpc. I told customer of the consequences of this and she told me that all the electrics had been checked a year ago when a new CU was installed by a large Electrical Contracting company. I took a look at the certificate and noticed that an ELI reading had been entered for each lighting circuit even though neither the upstairs or downstairs had a CPC!!

Apparently the customer had also been told that "They don't like us to take the light fittings down to check them as it's sometimes difficult to refit them"?!

The punch line to all this is that the company concerned carry-out PIR's and Building Inspections for the local council.

Just in case you're wondering I swapped all the metal fittings for pendants and advised the customer to contact the original installers.

Sponsored Links
Name and shame?

Shirley those readers in council accommodation deserve to know the risk they're living with?

Yes, I agree. I think the customer is going to contact the NICEIC.

She's just showed me a MWC for some socket fronts that she had changed by the same company (about a month after they installed the new CU.) In the Column for R1 + R2 the installer has written "LIM" - is this allowed??

He also has the insulation resistance down as 0.5Mohm and written in the comments box that this is probably due to equipment being plugged in at the time of test. This can't be acceptable - can it?

Sponsored Links
this is unacceptable.
how on earth can they write satisfactory in the box when thats the condition of the install.
no cpc ,code 1 no question

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back