Email program instead of Outlook Express

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
on an old PC I use away from home, it can receive mail but not send it, using a Virgin Mobile dongle on Virgin Media accounts I have been through the OE settings with Virgin Hell desk, and they say they are correct.

The dongle works OK on my other PC so maybe there is some setting I can't find.

Is there a comparable email program I could use instead?

Sponsored Links
Thunderbird is a good package. What error messages come up when trying to send mail via virgin? A lot of ISP's will allow you to receive mail from but not send mail if you're not connected to their network.

Sponsored Links
Yes, but I am using a Virgin dongle on Virgin (and NTL) mail accounts.

see also //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=200776

p.s. I just looked at Incredimail and it says

"Send beautiful email backgrounds
Add 1000's of fun emoticons to your emails
Enjoy animated email notifiers
See exciting 3D effects in your emails
Add funny animations to your emails
Add cool sounds to your email messages"

I don't want my email to be cool, or fun, or beautiful, or exciting, or funny FFS. I just want it to be simple and to work.

Virgin dongles run over a different ip range than broadband. Download thunderbird, the spiel for these programs are always the same but doesn't mean you can't set it to a non-html mail program.

I'm pretty convinced it's because the ISP does not allow this sending of mail over a different network.

I installed Thunderbird, did not import anything from
Outlook Express so it would be clean, still can't send mail on it. Message is

"an error occurred sending mail. the mail server sent an incorrect greeting: aamtaout02-winn.ispmail.ntl.com connection refused from [149.254.200.216]

FFS

I changed the outgoing SMTP server in Thunderbird to

mail.virgin.net

and it has worked (just for one account so far)

I will see if the same fix works in Outlook Express.

edit:
no :(

I have several mail accounts which are ntlworld.com, and several which are virgin.net

It's the same company

How do I know if the DNS settings are right?

yes, and I have looked at the NTLworld and the virgin.net settings (they tell you how to set up mail accounts with POP3 and SMTP, and they are set up that way (I exported the .iaf files from my home computer). However the dongle comes from virgin mobile, who do not appear to have a web page saying how to set up mail accounts (they talk about yahoo mail, which is not what I want) and when I phoned they transferred me to Virgin Media who run virgin.net

I am beginning to suspect virgin mobile do not know what to do.

It does not help that Virgin Media have had an unfixed problem for over nine days

National Issue - Can't sign in to My Virgin Media

Customers Affected: Broadband Internet, Dial Up Internet

Ticket Number: 1131218

Time Stamp: 20/11/2009 21:10

Estimated Time Fix: 8 Hours

the latest update was on 26 Nov (!) and now estimates "unknown at present"

what an incompetent company

http://status-cable.virginmedia.com...1F71522C.know-cdpapp2-2b:28009?ticket=1131218

Do you need an email program? I sign in on line to access my email much safer IMO and if I want to archive emails I delete most stuff and then use outlook or whatever but very rarely tbh.

I am a well-established Outlook Express user and see no reason why I should change

I don't use an email program - I just access via the web (Googlemail)

This has many advantages ......

The main one being you don't have to send out "I'm changing my email address - as from (date) my new address will be XYZ etc.." when you change providers

My Gmail address has remained unchanged over 8 yrs despite having 3 ISP's

Email can be accessed from ANY web-connected PC, including mobile phones & PDA's

Their storage capacity is very good

Most are free

You can store messages locally (on your own machine) but with the advent of always-on broadband this isn't as necessary as when dial-up ruled

Gmail (for example) has excellent spam & virus filtering capabilities, which filters out 99+% of junk before you ever see it

Wouldn't use Outlook or Outlook Express, Its usually the first thing I delete in a new installation. Anything that these MS programs do, you can do through a decent web-mail provider (address book, schedules, diary, calendar, document store, etc...)

Sponsored Links
Back